Tordex Community

Full Version: SHELL32.dll icons disappear on SP2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

After installing SP2 (the official RTM build from the MS site) I noticed some of the icons within my TLB had disappeared; replaced with the default Windows unknown icon. It turns out that, for some reason, TLB isn't recognising the first 45 icons in SHELL32.dll. My other, non-shell32, custom icons continued to work as normal. Resetting, deleting and re-adding, and even uninstalling then reinstalling TLB (v3.0) didn't solve the problem.

I did some checking and the icons are definitely there; when changing an icon for a folder, for instance, using Explorer, the icons are all present and selectable. So it seems that SP2 is blocking TLB from accessing those icons, or something like that. I do have StyleXP installed, and changing the icon package to a custom one (thus replacing the shell32 icons) does make some icons appear, but changing back to windows default makes them disappear again. It's odd because the icons are definitely present when accessed via explorer. Could this be one of the new security tweaks in action in SP2?
Open regedit and select registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

If you are using all standard icons that you need delete all values from that key. Or delete values that refer to invalid icons.

This bug will be fixed in the next version.
I was just going to ask about this, and the answer was already here. I had the problem with missing shell32 icons for several months before SP 2, but thought that I had accidentially corrupted shell32.dll or something. Thanks for the solution.

Thanks for the useful info Smile