Tordex Community

Full Version: Anybody know how to do "Set As Desktop Background"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The 3.2.2 beta rocks. Here's what I'm trying to do with it: I set up my virtual folder to my local Wallpapers directory, and use thumbnail view so I can see all the pics in a 4-column listing.

What I want to do is set Button Properties on the virtual folder button, such that when I click any of the thumbnails, it automatically makes it my desktop wallpaper.

Anybody know how to do this? I've done a bit of googling but haven't come across anything that would do the job. It seems the functionality is built into Windows but I don't know what (if any) EXE to use in Button Properties. I am yet to come across any freeware utility which would add "Set as background" to image context menus but I suppose that would do the job just as well.

I think this would make a really useful feature to add to the '...' button on the Button Properties page, too.
Answering my own question ... with the use of PowerPro this can be hacked together ... almost. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://powerpro.webeddie.com/">http://powerpro.webeddie.com/</a><!-- m -->

You can use this command line to make PowerPro switch your desktop wallpaper

Code:
"C:\Program Files\PowerPro\powerpro.exe" *Wallpaper ChangeTo c:\newpicture.jpg

You can also set the style:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\PowerPro\powerpro.exe" *Wallpaper Style stretch

You can thus make a batch file with this in it:

Code:
@echo off
"C:\Program Files\PowerPro\powerpro.exe" *Wallpaper Style %1
"C:\Program Files\PowerPro\powerpro.exe" *Wallpaper ChangeTo %2

Well the problem I'm having is that this just doesn't seem to work in TLB (3.2.2). I can set the default program within Button Properties but try as I might, it doesn't seem to have any effect on what happens when I click the item.

Can anyone confirm that the Default program setting actually works on the items in a virtual folder menu in TLB? I can't even get things working for one of the builtin defaults (items shown when you click "..." button), like Properties. I click the image and it just does the default action every time.

EDIT: I've just realized that setting the Button Properties for a menu, evidently does not affect its children. I'll take this to another thread.
You're trying to make TLB into something it's not meant to be.....however, in conjuction with winbatch you can easily run "external' commands and configuration programs from TLB menus.

While winbatch is not free......it's power is worth the price if you're into truw windows automation/configuration.

Go to winbatch.com and download a trial version.........I've been using it for years......
Define what TLB is "meant to be" ... The new "default command" functionality in 3.2.2 has been added, it seems like quite a natural extension that if TLB lets you show a directory of image files as thumbnails (it does), it would be really handy to be able to click one and make it my desktop background.

It's not like I'm asking for TLB to load an image in Photoshop, rotate and crop it, and upload it to my website. That would certainly be something appropriate for another tool (possibly launched by TLB).

In any case if the "default command for folder children" is added, then I could accomplish what I'm looking for with either PowerPro (which, BTW, is freeware) or Winbatch. I do think a lot of TLB users would find "set as background" to be a really useful (and commonly used) feature if it was present though, and since it's a relative pain in the arse to add such basic functionality, I hope it gets added Smile
HOW To Add "Set as Background command to TLB"

1) Open the Folder Options and click "File Types" tab. Select the file type. If you do not have Advanced option click Restore button:
[Image: new-cmd1.gif]

2) Click Advanced button
[Image: new-cmd2.gif]

3) In the Edit File Type dialog click New... button
[Image: new-cmd3.gif]

4) In the Action field type "Set As Background" (or other text). In the Application used to perform action type the command:
"C:\Program Files\PowerPro\powerpro.exe" *Wallpaper ChangeTo %1
[Image: new-cmd4.gif]

Now you can see the "Set As Background" in the context menu for image and you can use "Button Properties" to set the default commnd.
Confusedhock:

:lol: :lol:

8) 8) 8)

Thanks Yuri Smile