Tordex Community

Full Version: WIFI monitor thinks it's always connected
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I use the wifi network to access internet at home from my laptop (ACER).

The Wifi plugin thinks it's always connected even when my wifi card is shut down, the problem is that WIFI monitor sees a network connection with a signal of -10dB when the card is powered off.

The consequences of that are that the "hide when no signal" option does not work at all since Wifi monitor thinks there is ALWAYS signal and mail monitor also thinks that I'm connected to internet all the time.

The solution to this would be that wifi monitor does not hide when "no signal" but hides when there is no SSID, and it would be good to "tell" mail monitor and the other stuff that need the web (weather for example) when there is a connection and when there is not so that they would not try to update when there is no internet.

Thanks
txl Wrote:...The solution to this would be that wifi monitor does not hide when "no signal" but hides when there is no SSID...
Perhaps it would be good to have a user selectable preference such as:
1) Hide if No Signal
2) Hide if No SSID
3) Hide if No SSID Selected
4) Choice of Automatic or Manual Start/Stop of plugin
5) Ad Hoc Connection
Q Section, what exactly would these last two options (4 and 5) do?

While we're at it, I think it would be great if this plugin (and in fact, any other) would have events to which the user can assign a program or action.

For example, there could be dropdown box for each of these events:
  • Signal low
  • Signal lost
  • Signal found
  • IP acquired
  • Mouse-click[/list:u]
    This dropdown box would contain options like:
    • Hide the plugin
    • Show the plugin
    • Play sound
    • Run external program (with an edit box for entering the filename)[/list:u]
      This way it might be easier (for Yuri) to add and (for users) recognize such events in each plugin, and it would be uniform behaviour.

[Thread moved from "Plugins bugs"]
Dracula Wrote:Q Section, what exactly would these last two options (4 and 5) do?
Choice 4 would be an option to have the plugin start automatically if there is a signal and/or connection or the plugin can be started manually if one chooses. If started manually then the plugin appears but is grayed out and not showing data until user selects 'Start' manually. This would save a little of the CPU and battery resources for laptops (and underpowered desktops).

Choice 5 is a setting for Ad Hoc which is a computer-to-computer connection not utilising any router, access point or other device. This is one of the two settings available using WiFi. Typically the Wireless Client software functions a bit differently when in this mode. For any other questions please post. There are many additional ideas such as an indicator light for Secure Connection, WEP, WPA, WPA2, AES, TKIP etc. which are all different types of encryption.
Thank you for suggestions. Now I have my AP and I've found many problems with WL monitor. In the next version I'll fix all bugs with AP.
Thank you, sir and please do not forget the references found here.