Tordex Community

Full Version: Crash when dragging desktop shortcut to TLB Win 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As the title says, every time I try moving a shortcut on the desktop to my TLB, explorer crashes. This never happened with Win 7 but now happens since upgrading to Win 10.

Doug
NOBODY?!?!?

Doug
What True Launch Bar version do you use?
(08-13-2016, 04:58 PM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: [ -> ]What True Launch Bar version do you use?

I am using version 7.3 32-bit
Please can you post the screenshot of your toolbar here. Also please if this is possible, make the toolbar backup and send it to me (support@tordex.com).

I can't to reproduce the bug, but maybe it depends of some settings. I'll try with your configuration.
(08-17-2016, 09:07 AM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: [ -> ]Please can you post the screenshot of your toolbar here. Also please if this is possible, make the toolbar backup and send it to me (support@tordex.com).

I can't to reproduce the bug, but maybe it depends of some settings. I'll try with your configuration.

Yuri,

I sent the screenshot of the toolbar (nothing unusual that I can see) as well as the backup. I should mention I never had any issues dragging shortcuts to the TLB bar when using Win 7. It is only since I updated to Win 10 that this does not work--things freeze and I basically have to restart Windows Explorer. I should mention that I have 2 monitors and TLB is on both (using UltraMon) but I was also doing this with Win 7.

Doug
NEW DISCOVERY:

As I mentioned whenever I drag a shortcut from the desktop to the TLB on my main monitor Windows Explorer crashes. But I tried dragging the shortcut to the TLB on the second monitor and NO PROBLEM (and it also ends up showing up on the TLB of the first monitor). What to you thing this indicates?

Doug
Any update on possible causes for this issue? Windows Explorer consistently crashes and then restarts whenever I try dragging shortcut to the TLB on the primary monitor. When Explorer restarts the shortcut is still on the desktop and has not been placed on TLB.

Doug
Thank you very much for screenshots and additional information.

Quote:But I tried dragging the shortcut to the TLB on the second monitor and NO PROBLEM (and it also ends up showing up on the TLB of the first monitor)
This is very interesting. Do you have the same toolbar on both monitors? Please can you write small instruction how to configure UltraMon to get the taskbars as on your computer?

Also please can you try the latest beta version?
(09-06-2016, 10:25 AM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you very much for screenshots and additional information.

Quote:But I tried dragging the shortcut to the TLB on the second monitor and NO PROBLEM (and it also ends up showing up on the TLB of the first monitor)
This is very interesting. Do you have the same toolbar on both monitors? Please can you write small instruction how to configure UltraMon to get the taskbars as on your computer?

Also please can you try the latest beta version?

I am not an expert on UltraMon. I only started using it once I decided to have dual monitors (which I think everyone has nowadays). The features page on Ultramon made a big deal about having the ability to have True Launch Bar on the taskbar of the second monitor:

https://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/to...askbar.asp

Again, the key thing seems to be that I did not have ANY problems with this setup when I had Win 7 but after the Win 10 update the weird behavior started. I did not make any changes to Ultramon or TLB but obviously there is something that Win 10 does not like.

I guess I can uninstall Ultramon, Uninstall TLB, and then reinstall both and see what happens.

By the way, without Ultramon would there be any way to get TLB on the taskbar of the second monitor?

Thanks,

Doug
Quote:I am not an expert on UltraMon. I only started using it once I decided to have dual monitors (which I think everyone has nowadays). The features page on Ultramon made a big deal about having the ability to have True Launch Bar on the taskbar of the second monitor
I can't add True Launch Bar on the second taskbar with UltraMon Sad Something wrong with me Confused
Do you have the same toolbar on both monitors?

Quote:I did not make any changes to Ultramon or TLB but obviously there is something that Win 10 does not like.
Maybe this is because I can't add TLB on the second toolbar. You've configure this on Windows 7. I've tried on Windows 10.

Quote:I guess I can uninstall Ultramon, Uninstall TLB, and then reinstall both and see what happens.
I don't know about Ultramon, but uninstalling TLB will not help.

Quote:By the way, without Ultramon would there be any way to get TLB on the taskbar of the second monitor?
More or less. It is impossible to add True launch Bar on the second taskbar. But you can create something like taskbar with the standalone TLB. The only problem this toolbar will not have the tasks buttons. But it is possible to use the Windows List plugin.
Yuri--I have a similar setup on my work machine which is currently Windows 7. I am attaching a screenshot that shows the primary monitor on the left and the second monitor on the right. As you can see TLB is on BOTH taskbars and it is Ultramon that allows this to happen. I think Win 10 has an advanced feature that may allow TLB to appear on BOTH taskbars without needing Ultramon but I am not sure.

The link to the Ultramon website clearly shows the feature of having TLB on both taskbars if you choose the "Smart Taskbar" option.

Doug

[attachment=1964]
By the way, there was a previous thread where you were the one recommending Ultramon so I figured you knew everything about it:

http://forum.tordex.com/thread-4991.html...t=Ultramon

Doug
NEW UPDATE

Well, part of the mystery is solved. I did successfully have TLB showing on the toolbars of both monitors when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. Then as an experiment I just now removed the TLB from the second monitor and now I cannot get it back. It turns out that Ultramon works a bit different for Win 10 versus Win 7. With Win 7 there was an option for "Smart Task Bar" that is no longer there with Win 10 and this is what made it easy to get TLB on both monitors. Now there is a "Taskbar Extension" tab that does not do quite the same thing. So now I am stuck with TLB on just the Primary Monitor until I can figure things out.

Doug
Hey Yuri--a new update to the saga.

After the update from Win 7 to Win 10, TLB did still successfully at least show up on the primary display and the secondary display (although with the weird behavior described above). I was screwing around some more and removed the taskbar from the second display (via Ultramon and also via the Win 10 Taskbar Properties). But then when I opted to show the taskbar again on the second display, there is NO option available to show the TLB toolbar (which you had noted, above). According to the Ultramon folks, toolbar support is NOT included for secondary displays on Win 10.

So the question becomes how was I able to initially have the TLB toolbar on the second display for a while after updating to Win 10?? If that is not supported then how did I have it?
Quote:So the question becomes how was I able to initially have the TLB toolbar on the second display for a while after updating to Win 10??
The taskbar on the second monitor can't hold the toolbars Sad

Quote:If that is not supported then how did I have it?
I don't know. I can guess you had the toolbar on the second monitor because of Ultramon. After updating Ultramon still thought it is on Windows 7 and create the own second taskbar.
Pages: 1 2