Tordex Community

Full Version: No 'Run As' Option When I Shift-Right Click On TLB Shortcut
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pre-TLB I kept a shortcut to Add Or Remove Programs in a normal XP pop-up toolbar. I could then use Shift-Right Click to install programs 'as Administrator' without logging out of User.

After I converted the tool bar to a TLB tool bar this doesn't work. For shortcuts in TLB, Shift-Right Click seems to behave just like a normal Right Click so I don't get the 'Run As' option anymore.

Can't even use Properties /Advanced /Run With different Credentials because this option is greyed out on Add Or Remove Programs in XP.

Wondering if any TLB expert can suggest a neat way round this?

David Tong
In the next version I'll add support for extra menu items on SHIFT+right-click.

Now you can create shortcut:
Code:
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\appwiz.cpl",Add or Remove Programs

Then right-click it Appearance->Button Properties

Set the "Default Command" into runas
This will run "Add or Remove Programs" applet and ask the user and password.
Yuri,

Thanks for the interesting work-around. I made the shortcut and put it into the TLB toolbar and it works fine - but only if Power Drawers is not running! If I click the icon When PD is running the icon blinks twice but nothing else happens.

If I leave out setting Runas into "Default Command", the new shortcut still has 'Run As' as an option in its context menu. Also Properties /Advanced /Run With Different Credentials is not greyed out.

These work fine even when PD is running so this looks like a nice solution. - but do you know if the credentials entered like this for rundll32 also apply to the control panel applet that rundll opens?

Thanks again for the speedy response, and the introduction to rundll32 Big Grin

David Tong.
Thanks for he great info you shared,this site is really great and it helps me a lot...
have a great day and God bless!!