Tordex Community

Full Version: Explorer Keeps Freezing As TLB Tooltip Opens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd really appreciate some help with this problem as it's getting to be a nuisance Sad.

Once or twice per hour Explorer freezes when I mouse over a TLB toolbar. It happens when the tooltip outline is about half-finished and before any text is written into it.

Each time, events 1000, 1001, and 1002 appear in Event Viewer/Application. A specimen entry for Event 1000 is 'Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2945, fault address 0x00012a5b.'

Often Explorer restarts automatically and I can carry on. Other times it leads to a general freeze and I have to reboot.

FWIW, other shell-type programs running at the same time are Logitech QuickCam, Macro Express, Actual Window Manager, PS Tray Factory, Dialog Box Assistant, NView Desktop Manager, and Power Drawers.

David Tong.

---------------------
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows XP ProfessionalService Pack 2 (Build 2600).
Shell Version: 6.0.2900.2951.
Internet Explorer Version: 6.0.2900.2180.
TLB version: 4.1.
By (laborious) trial and error I found I can stop Explorer crashing as follows:

1. Leave Tips activated in TLB, but close the program Actual Window Manager, or
2. Leave AWM running, but de-activate Tips in TLB.

It looks as if AWM and TLB conflict with other in a way that causes Explorer to crash occasionally when TLB displays a Tip.

To demonstrate the bug:

1. Have both TLB and AWM installed and running. (I used AWM version 4.2 and TLB version 4.1).
2. Make a pop-up toolbar in TLB with plenty of entries that produce tooltips.
3. Move the mouse cursor back and forth over the toolbar entries to make the Tips flash on and off.
4. Explorer then crashes at random intervals, but on average about once per four minutes.

Actual Window Manager can be downloaded for free trial at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/">http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/</a><!-- m -->. I bought it early this year and find it quite useful. However TLB is more useful so unfortunately AWM will have to go :cry: - unless of course Yuri or AWM can resolve the mutual incompatibility...
Sorry I can't to reproduce the bug with the standard configuration. Please can you send your AWM config to me (you can do this using File->Send Configuration->Send to Friend).

Also you can try to setup the AWM to ingnore the windows with class "CPPTooltip".
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Sorry I can't to reproduce the bug with the standard configuration. Please can you send your AWM config to me (you can do this using File->Send Configuration->Send to Friend).

Also you can try to setup the AWM to ingnore the windows with class "CPPTooltip".

Thanks for responding. To make the bug happen I had to spend up to five minutes 'wiping' the cursor over the contents of a tool bar. (That's why I put 'laborious' in brackets :wink: )

I've sent the AWM configuration by email.

I tried setting up AWM to ignore windows with class "CPPTooltip". The attached screenshot shows how it looks.

However it has not solved the problem. Explorer crashed after only 30 seconds of 'wiping'. (Explorer then crashed as I was typing this into the browser. The error message is the same as for the Tooltip crashes: 'Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2945, fault address 0x00012a5b.')

To put this in perspective, before I restarted AWM to follow up your requests just now, there had been no crashes for several hours.

Regards,
David.
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Sorry I can't to reproduce the bug with the standard configuration. Please can you send your AWM config to me (you can do this using File->Send Configuration->Send to Friend).

Yuri,

After sleeping on it, I looked again at excluding the tooltip window from AWM and, now I’ve done it properly, your suggestion seems to work beautifully Big Grin

I hadn't realised that the 'window of class CPPTooltip' is actually from the program 'explorer.exe'. Also I'd not previously understood the use of AWM's 'Select window from list' button. (This and the 'flash the window' option seem really useful).

Anyway the attached screenshot shows how the exclusion looks now in AWM, and since I applied it I've not been able to induce a single crash.

Thanks again for a very prompt resolution to this annoying problem.

David Tong.