Tordex Community

Full Version: Closing Extended Desktop Breaks Auto-Hide Toolbars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is not a TLB Bug - it's a Windows bug - but I’m asking here because it especially affects TLB users who use multiple monitors, and YK seems to know everything about toolbars :wink: .

To Demonstrate The Bug
1. Start with the desktop extended over both monitors in a dual-monitor setup, and with at least one auto-hide toolbar docked to an edge of the main display.
2. With the toolbar hiding, switch back to single-monitor mode and then hover on the toolbar to open it. All you get is an empty border (see attached screenshots showing ‘Undamaged’ and ‘Damaged’ pictures).
3. Now let the empty toolbar auto-hide and switch back to extended desktop. The toolbar now behaves properly.
4. Repeat 2 but with the toolbar open (hover on it). The toolbar now survives intact.
5. To repair a damaged toolbar you can go back to extended desktop and do step 4. Another way is to restart explorer.exe.

Why It Matters
1. You can only hold open two toolbars at once with the mouse so this bug limits you to two auto-hide toolbars.
2. It’s easy with laptops to forget to hold toolbars open while going to standby or hibernate. If you don’t have the second monitor available the next time you open it you have to restart Explorer.
3. Restarting Explorer wastes time and you tend to lose Tray icons. (I now use PS Tray Factory to help avoid this).

What I’d Like
1. A desktop shortcut called ‘Repair Toolbars’. This would write the contents back into the empty frames without restarting Explorer.
2. Otherwise two shortcuts: one to change all auto-hide toolbars to non-auto-hide; the other to restore them to how they were. I could then use the shortcuts in macros. For example, I’d run the first one automatically on standby or hibernate (using Hibernate Trigger from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rpi.edu/~desimn/suspendtrigger/">http://www.rpi.edu/~desimn/suspendtrigger/</a><!-- m -->), and the other one on wakeup as a Scheduled Task).

Regards to all,
David Tong.