Tordex Community

Full Version: Explorer hangs on startup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am using TLB for some time now, to my satisfaction, until I updated to version 4. Windows could come no further after userlogin than the desktop background and a remnant of the log-in screen where the taskbar should be. Explorer is frozen, even in a Safe Mode startup.

Now I reverted back to 3.1 and it works fine.
Everything started after I installed Windows Desktop Search (now using version 3.1). I cannot work without WDS if I want to keep the search facilities in MS Office 2007.

It seems that the combination WDS (3,1) andf TLB (4.x) freezes the Explorer on startup. After killing it with the Task Manager and manually starting it up again, it sometimes (!) starts but this is obviously not acceptable. I managed to uninstall TLB 4 and after a restart could install TLB 3.1. It seems to work fine but for how long?(!).

I run Windows XP SP2 on an ASUS A8V deluxe (AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800) and RAID1; Internet Explorer v.7; MS Office 2007 and all Windows and Office patches; AVast Anti Virus; Windows Defender; nVidia 9371 and several other drivers and software, which work together well.

Please give me some suggestions what to do to pinpoint the cause of the problem without un- and re-installing making restarting necessary for a zillion times.
Is this problem allready known? Might there be a solution?
Help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Imre Fabian
I have the same problem and looking back it seems to be indeed as of version 4.X

I currently do not have the WDS installed but used to have this for only a short period of time.

This bug is pretty annoying, it stops me from ever wanting to shutdown my laptop (even though sometimes i have to).

The only way I find its working is, before shutting down, close TLB and then once the restart is complete, start it up again. This works okay if you choose to shutdown but unfortunately, this is not always the case and it will take for about 30 minutes to 1 hour to have my system up and running again.

I'm using TLB version 4.2, WindowsXP SP2