Tordex Community

Full Version: Feature request: 'global filter' for a complete toolbar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For two years I've kept about 20 most-used folders as TLB 'Virtual Folders' in a pop-up toolbar (see screenshot). I can mouse to any file on my computer in seconds and access it with just one click. Fantastic!

To avoid clutter from *.wbk files I apply a 'File Filter' to each virtual folder and its children. But it's a lot of work. I have to right-click separately on the first-level menu of every folder and use Customise Menu.

What I'd like is a global filter for all the virtual folders in the toolbar and accessible from TLB Settings.

Do you think this could be done?
Have you tried the option 'Apply to CHILD folders' in 'Customized menu'?
Yes but 'Apply to Child Folders' is available only from a TLB menu, not from a toolbar... Sad

To make the issue clearer (hoping to catch Yuri's attention) I've spelt it out in more detail below. I seem to have three options. One gives me a dockable menu that auto-hides, but with no global filtering. The other two won't dock or auto-hide, but do allow global filtering. I've attached a screen shot of an example of each.

Option 1:
I construct My Menu directly in an auto-hide toolbar docked at the right of the screen. It pops-up when the mouse hits the right-hand edge of the screen. This mode is ideal except that I have to apply filtering separately to every virtual folder. (The context menu for toolbars doesn't offer 'Customise Menu' so I can't apply global filtering).

Option 2:
I make an auto-hide toolbar docked at the right of the screen as in option 1. I use New/Menu to add a button to the toolbar and construct My Menu in the menu for the new button. I can then right-click in My Menu and use 'Customise Menu' to apply global filtering to the Sub-Menus. The problem is that to access virtual folders you have to go through the bottle neck of the toolbar button. It's not nearly so convenient as Option 1.

Option 3:
This is an extension of Option 2 where I make My Menu into a Tear-Off and position it anywhere I want, while the menu with the original button stays hidden. Tear-Off menus are not 'dockable' and they don't have an auto-hide option, so I have to open and close it with a hot-key. However it's less fiddly than Option 2. (Note: for the Option 3 screen shot I left the parent toolbar visible, but normally I'd put the launching button in the Quick Launch toolbar and 'Hide' it).

I'd like to persuade Yuri to add a filtering option at the Toolbar stage. Option 1 would then be almost ideal.

The reason for 'almost ideal' is this: You'd expect to be able to double-click on a virtual folder and have it open, but it won't work like that. You have to right-click and then select Open from the context menu. This is cumbersome and seems a pity...