Tordex Community

Full Version: Windows Explorer, and computer, crash.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After reviewing the Giveaway version of TLB, and almost fully reading (not used to) its help file, I thought it was the most practical Launching aid I had encountered in many years. And I was really determined to buy the full-fledged version, until, after having chosen to download menus files, Windows Explorer, and my computer, crashed down. Not even in Windows Safe Mode or any other way, was I able to restart the system, until I decided to go to the repair menu through the F8 function key at system start and use a restore point previous to TLB install. Notify me when a solution is found.
For any useful assistance it will be most helpful to post your Operating System (32 or 64 as well), FLB version and particular settings for Free Launch Bar.
(03-20-2011, 01:09 PM)Q Section Wrote: [ -> ]For any useful assistance it will be most helpful to post your Operating System (32 or 64 as well), FLB version and particular settings for Free Launch Bar.

Well, I had a hard time myself recovering from endless explorer-crashes, and had to do a recovery.
Desktop and taskbar are completely garbaged.
remnants of buttons, which cannot be clicked, icons arbitrarily exchanged, black unresponsive areas.
The main 'feature' of this mode being that the power-switch is the most reliable one.

Restored to a point prior to taskbar-installation via F8-repair.

Using win7/64bit home premium, i3, 2350, 8GB RAM, with the usual updates.

One other computer I installed FLB on, is win7 enterprise/32bit/4GB, i8400 - a standard Dell desktop, with no problems up to now.

FLB has some nifty features which I would love to use, to be sure, but spending a couple of hours to find out what went wrong, is definitely not worth the trouble.

What caused the trouble within FLB, I don't know.
I just can say that I was getting bold and tried to use some of its more advanced features, after a couple of days of decent operation in its basic mode.
But then, all of a sudden, it explodes right at your desktop.
Don't ask me what I did exactly.
One thing: 'place menu on the right' was oone of the last things I did, or something like that. Can't remember the exact wording.

A pity that this sort of problem seems now a couple of years old, and obviously unresolved.

What I can say is that win7 in its mild troubleshooting mode is unable to identify the problem.
Somehow FLB meddles with the Explorer, which seems logical, because FLB/TLB intercept the intermediate levels of the Explorer process-hierarchy.
Something is not understood here, it seems.

nevertheless,
all the best

Ok, get sick of having to hit F10 to have the menu, not that it is a problem, just dont know why it is hidden

To get around it do this
F10 to bring up the menu, then
tools>folder options>view
make sure "always show menus" is checked, then apply