Tordex Community
FLB makes Explorer to perform huge activity: bug? - Printable Version

+- Tordex Community (http://forum.tordex.com)
+-- Forum: Free Launch Bar (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Free Launch Bar (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: FLB makes Explorer to perform huge activity: bug? (/thread-2055.html)

FLB makes Explorer to perform huge activity: bug? - dejudicibus - 07-10-2005

I installed the Free Launch Bar few weeks ago and I am quite satisfied by its functionalities. However, since that installation, I experienced an annoying side effect at startup: the Explorer process performs some activity for 30-40 seconds delaying the end of startup. I cannot understand why Explorer is working (it looks like it is indexing the hard disk) but I verified that the activity is related to the FLB. Are you using some system API that might begin such a process?

- Yuri Kobets - 07-13-2005

TLB reads all shortcuts you have on toolbar and in menus on startup. If you have too many shortcuts this process can be long. TLB have virtual folders that loaded on first startup. Also maybe some shortcuts on network and this can slow down loding.

Generally shortcuts into menus can speendup loading process. If you are using antiviruses disable to check FLB toolbar folder also.

- dejudicibus - 08-10-2005

Yuri Kobets Wrote:TLB reads all shortcuts you have on toolbar and in menus on startup. If you have too many shortcuts this process can be long.

Five minutes to read less than 100 shortcuts? It is too much, isn't it?

Yuri Kobets Wrote:TLB have virtual folders that loaded on first startup. Also maybe some shortcuts on network and this can slow down loding.

What does it mean exactly?

Yuri Kobets Wrote:Generally shortcuts into menus can speendup loading process. If you are using antiviruses disable to check FLB toolbar folder also.

What do you mean by shortcuts into menus can speendup loading process? What should I do? In any case I do not think disabling antivirus is a good idea. Can you better explain that to me?

- Yuri Kobets - 08-10-2005

Quote:Five minutes to read less than 100 shortcuts? It is too much, isn't it?
It is very much. But... What is your CPU, hard disk? What Windows do you use? What anivirus do you use?

Note, when loading shortcuts FLB/TLB reads at least two file. The first file is shortcut and the second file - file that shortcut refer (to read icon).

During startup Windows reads many many files. And most of antiviruses check all that files for viruses. So if you have ~100 shortcuts antivirus must check ~200 files - this can take 5 minutes not only on slow computers.

So try to turn off antivirus for one restart to be sure that problem is here.

Quote:
Quote:TLB have virtual folders that loaded on first startup. Also maybe some shortcuts on network and this can slow down loding.

What does it mean exactly?
Free Launch Bar don't have this feature.

Quote:What do you mean by shortcuts into menus can speendup loading process?
Create menus on toolbar and move shortcuts into menus. Free Launch Bar load icons on toolbar before icons from menus. After loading toolbar icons, FLB loads menus in the second thread. System have more resources to continue startup.

- dejudicibus - 08-12-2005

Yuri Kobets Wrote:It is very much. But... What is your CPU, hard disk? What Windows do you use? What anivirus do you use?

Pentium 4 2GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, WinXP Home, Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition.

Yuri Kobets Wrote:During startup Windows reads many many files. And most of antiviruses check all that files for viruses. So if you have ~100 shortcuts antivirus must check ~200 files - this can take 5 minutes not only on slow computers.

Why FLB "read" files? Shouldn't it just create a link for them? What info does it need?

Yuri Kobets Wrote:Free Launch Bar don't have this feature.

What is the advantage of that feature?

Yuri Kobets Wrote:Create menus on toolbar and move shortcuts into menus. Free Launch Bar load icons on toolbar before icons from menus. After loading toolbar icons, FLB loads menus in the second thread. System have more resources to continue startup.

Oh, I already have my shortcuts arranged in ten menus. Each menu is associated to an icon of mines (ie. I designed), and contains 5 up to 15 program shortcuts. I do not need the more advance aestethical features of TLB. FLB is really OK for me, but I would be available to pay a small fee if and advance version of FLB would be improved in term of performances.