Tordex Community
Can't find the setting to show file extensions - Printable Version

+- Tordex Community (http://forum.tordex.com)
+-- Forum: True Launch Bar (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Can't find the setting to show file extensions (/thread-23410.html)

Can't find the setting to show file extensions - Wisewiz - 01-27-2020

I give up. I'm on Windows 10, trying to get my new TLB to behave like the old one, and my files (.txt, .docx, etc.) are showing without their extensions ... and I can't find the setting to make files always show their extensions. Help?

RE: Can't find the setting to show file extensions - Captain Caveman - 01-28-2020

(01-27-2020, 05:44 PM)Wisewiz Wrote: I give up. I'm on Windows 10, trying to get my new TLB to behave like the old one, and my files (.txt, .docx, etc.) are showing without their extensions ... and I can't find the setting to make files always show their extensions. Help?

Open Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization. Now, click on Folder Options or File Explorer Option, as it is now called > View tab. In this tab, under Advanced Settings, you will see the option Hide extensions for known file types. Uncheck this option and click on Apply and OK

RE: Can't find the setting to show file extensions - Wisewiz - 01-28-2020

(01-28-2020, 12:49 PM)Captain Caveman Wrote: Open Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization. Now, click on Folder Options or File Explorer Option, as it is now called > View tab. In this tab, under Advanced Settings, you will see the option Hide extensions for known file types. Uncheck this option and click on Apply and OK

Thanks, man, but I set those things way back when I installed Windows 10: I want to see hidden folders and have access to system files and all the other good stuff, including seeing file extensions in File Explorer. But that setting set works in File Explorer, and doesn't -- at least in my installation of Windows 10 and TLB -- extend to the TLB menus that display files.

I have no problem with all of the TLB menus that show folders and drives and utilities and Administrative Tools and so on and on, but I have the File Explorer folder you see here displayed this way in TLB.

[attachment=2161][attachment=2162]

But thanks for reading about my problems.

Just by way of comparison, here's the equivalent pair of shots from my Windows 7 Pro machine:

[attachment=2164][attachment=2163]

(For any new member who happens to see these posts and can't make out the details in the screenshots, ... click on the picture for an enlarged view, then close the new window and click on the next picture ... wash, rinse, and repeat.)

Best regards to all of you,

RE: Can't find the setting to show file extensions - Captain Caveman - 01-29-2020

Your right.. Windows 7 does display the file extensions but not in windows 10.

Sorry I couldn't help.

RE: Can't find the setting to show file extensions - Yuri Kobets - 01-29-2020

TLB uses Windows explorer settings for extensions. Actually Windows explorer supplies names for file system items. You can find option for files extensions in Windows Explorer on View menu (or band... or... what is this?)

One note: refresh TLB menu or toolbar to see changes in TLB.

RE: Can't find the setting to show file extensions - Wisewiz - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 10:52 AM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: Create shortcut to Mail application somewhere and set this shortcut as "Mail reader" property.

Well, Yuri, annoying Windows 10 doesn't really HAVE paths for Modern apps (Mail is one of them) any more, so I don't know what to try here.

[attachment=2165]

(01-29-2020, 10:41 AM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: TLB uses Windows explorer settings for extensions. Actually Windows explorer supplies names for file system items.

And as for the display in TLB of file extensions, I think it's just a Windows 10 thing, like an obsessive-compulsive disorder, that makes it not want to show file extensions.

You have to pick your battles, and my fight with Windows 10 about file extensions in TLB is not a fight worth pursuing; I'm sure to lose.

I fought with Windows 10 earlier today and won: I changed my user-name in File Explorer C:\users\<user-name>. Now that was a fight worth fighting, since the name in there had nothing to do with me.

Actually, the Mail shortcut (the one Windows 10 made; not one I made) opens the Mail app to the Inbox, and the mail monitoring function is handled by the Action Centre: you get a Number Flag on the bottom-screen-right icon and a sound (if you set it that way) every time a new mail message comes in. That satisfies me.

I've put the mail shortcut in the TLB toolbar, changed its icon to one of mine, and it works just fine. If I move away from the Mail app to a real mail program in the future, I'll follow your guidelines to set up the TLB Mail Monitor. I'm sure it will work just fine.

Thanks so much for all your help over the years, Yuri, and special thanks for giving us the True Launch Bar!