Tordex Community
Using the Mail Monitor plugin - Printable Version

+- Tordex Community (http://forum.tordex.com)
+-- Forum: True Launch Bar (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Features Discussion (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Using the Mail Monitor plugin (/thread-427.html)

- cmishima - 09-23-2002

True Launch Bar has a very useful and convenient email manager called Mail Monitor.

You can use mail monitor from the True Launch Bar to automatically check all your POP3 email accounts at regular intervals and report to you if any mail has arrived. At this moment you cannot use Mail Monitor to check HOTMAIL or Yahoo accounts unless you have POP3 access setup.

You can preview the mail before downloading it to your mail reader. You can also delete it directly on the mail server, which can be very convenient if you received unwanted email such as SPAM.

After installing the plugin and rebooting your system (remember to do this step) you will see the new plugin Mail Monitor on the True Launch Bar context menu under new

[Image: plugin.jpg]

Next you will need to add your current email information into the Mail Monitor properties screen.

[Image: mailmon1.jpg]

Account Name - This can be any name you choose.
POP3 Server - This is the Server name i.e. pop.yahoo.com
Server Port - Generally you should leave this as it is
User Name - This is your email account name.
Password - This is the email account password.
Check Every - How often Mail Monitor should check for email
Timeout - How long to wait before stop checking
Sound Notify - Play this sound when mail arrives
Suspend Account - Temporarily don’t check for email

You can also choose which mail reader (such as OUTLOOK) you wish to use when downloading your email.

[Image: mailmon2.jpg]

After setting up the Mail Monitor plugin you will be able to easily see when new email has arrived by simply looking at the Mail Monitor Icon.

[Image: mailmon.gif]

- GeekK - 09-26-2002

Great plugin....

On thing: I don't get the yellow balloon-notify on new mail (I guess this should pop up, because it isn't an option which I can toggle on/off)

Is it me or..... something else? :0

- shapeshifter - 09-26-2002

The yellow balloon thing is a tooltip, meaning it only pops up when you hover your mouse over the icon. If you have mail (usually you can tell at a glance by looking at the icon - if it's animated, you've got mail), you can hover your mouse over the icon, and the tooltip will tell you which account recieved mail, how many messages, and how big (file size) they are. Otherwise the tooltip only shows the caption for the plugin (default: Mail Monitor).

By the way, I believe the tooltips default to a rectangular shape instead of the balloons. To change it, open up your TLB Settings, and select the tooltip style you want from the drop-down list on the General Options tab. Personally, I prefer the balloons because they go better with the comic book style theme I'm developing Smile

- GeekK - 09-27-2002

GeekK Wrote:Great plugin....

On thing: I don't get the yellow balloon-notify on new mail (I guess this should pop up, because it isn't an option which I can toggle on/off)

Is it me or..... something else? :0
Btw... i should tell that I have my mail monitor in a menu (... because I don't want a wobbling icon on my taskbar...). I guess that's why it doesn't "work".

But yes, the hoover over the icon works.

Thx for the answer!

- shapeshifter - 09-27-2002

Hmm.. I just moved mine to a menu, and you're right, the tooltip no longer tells you which account has mail, etc. Also, it no longer animates. It basically just acts like a shortcut to your mail reader - pretty pointless. So Mr. Developer: If you're reading this, FIX IT Wink

BTW: You can specify an icon to use when you have new mail so that you can use it on your taskbar without the default "wobbling" animated new mail notifier.

- GeekK - 09-27-2002

shapeshifter Wrote:Hmm.. I just moved mine to a menu, and you're right, the tooltip no longer tells you which account has mail, etc. Also, it no longer animates.
Well, it *does* animate here, even in a menu.

Quote:It basically just acts like a shortcut to your mail reader - pretty pointless. So Mr. Developer: If you're reading this, FIX IT Wink
Well, you can select what program to start when you click on it, right? 1) Just the mail-list, so you can delete msgs on server, 2) Nothing

I would like that when I click on it, it launches the mail-reader (ie. OE). Because, now, when I see the animated icon for mail, I CAN'T click it to launch my own mail-reader to read the arrived messages.

Basically what I'm telling here.... I can't launch my mail-reader with a click on the message-icon (animated/new-mail, nor plain/no-mail) ???

Or am I wrong?

PS. Why can't I quote messages in this forum (I did it by hand now) :angry:

I don't usually quote, so I can't help you with quoting...

If you don't check the box labeled "Open mail list on click" then when you click on the plugin, it opens the mail reader you specified in the blank labeled "Mail reader". Otherwise, it just shows you that list thing. If it doesn't launch your mail reader when it's supposed to, check that the path and executable name you entered is correct, or better yet, click the browse button (the one with "..." on it) and select it from there. If the path has spaces in it, it needs to be enclosed in quotes, like this: "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe". Hope this helps...

- GeekK - 10-01-2002

shapeshifter Wrote:I don't usually quote, so I can't help you with quoting...

If you don't check the box labeled "Open mail list on click" then when you click on the plugin, it opens the mail reader you specified in the blank labeled "Mail reader". Otherwise, it just shows you that list thing. If it doesn't launch your mail reader when it's supposed to, check that the path and executable name you entered is correct, or better yet, click the browse button (the one with "..." on it) and select it from there. If the path has spaces in it, it needs to be enclosed in quotes, like this: "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe". Hope this helps...
Thx.... everything's working now... Big Grin