Tordex Community
Controlling the UAC location - Printable Version

+- Tordex Community (http://forum.tordex.com)
+-- Forum: True Launch Bar (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Controlling the UAC location (/thread-4711.html)

Controlling the UAC location - Zardoz2293 - 10-15-2014

I've noticed patterns in how the UAC is placed in a multiple monitor system configuration. Simplifying the UAC behavior and not accounting for products that change the position/location of applications, the UAC always appears on the monitor of the application which invoked the UAC.

If the primary TLB application is displayed on monitor #1 and you have a secondary TLB on monitor #2 and execute/select an application from the TLB menu on monitor #2, the code invoking your selection is actually coming from the TLB (assumed to be tlb.dll) which was (originally) executed (display component) on monitor #1. This results in the UAC being displayed on monitor #1 and not where you would expect it, which would be monitor #2. In the case where you perform the same action on monitor #1 the UAC appears there.

I'm requesting you test it out for yourself. Implementing a change in how TLB works on multiple monitors could be made in many ways. I'm just requesting a mechanism change resulting in the UAC being displayed on the monitor where the invoking of the UAC originated (from an end-users perspective), which might include the ability to launch a TLB process for each TLB, or a separate process for each TLB when executing menu selections, et al.

The end result is having the Windows UAC appearing on the monitor where the end-user would be expecting the UAC to appear, which I believe is where the end-user's vision is directed.

What are your thoughts?

Sincerely,
Lars

RE: Controlling the UAC location - Yuri Kobets - 10-15-2014

This is very interesting request. I'm not sure it is possible to move UAC to the second monitor (I have two monitors but never seen the UAC on the second monitor), but I'll try to investigate this question. Thank you.

RE: Controlling the UAC location - Zardoz2293 - 10-15-2014

(10-15-2014, 01:32 PM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: This is very interesting request. I'm not sure it is possible to move UAC to the second monitor (I have two monitors but never seen the UAC on the second monitor), but I'll try to investigate this question. Thank you.

In the past few weeks I've discovered I can get the UAC directed to the specific monitor I desire with other vendors products. Where it appears the behavior is 'random' or always 'on the primary monitor' the UAC originates from the application monitor location which invoked the UAC. In the case of code which does not have a presentation layer the UAC would appear on the primary monitor (monitor #1). The UAC however can be 'tricked/coerced' by providing a presentation component on the appropriate monitor and then perform the activity invoking the UAC.