Weather Monitor Issues - Weather Icons won't show!
Started by sugarprincess

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

31 posts in this topic
sugarprincess

37 posts 6 threads Joined: Jan 2003
08-13-2004, 02:38 AM -
I am running TLBv3.0 and Weather Monitor v1.3 beta. The problem is that for the most part, I can't get any weather icons to show! I have about 10 skins loaded and most don't work. By this, I mean I tell Weather Monitor to run, you can see the empty space in the bar, you can see "Weather Monitor" when you hover over the empty space, but there's nothing there! I was using weather.com, so tried weather underground and right now, the only thing that shows is the degrees--there is no cloud or sun (etc) icon. But if I hover, I get the full balloon tip with the forecast.

(New minor issue...I just noticed that I have it set for F but it's showing in C--and even the balloon tip forecast SAYS F but I know it's not 23 in North Carolina. The skins showing this are Compact 16 Black Text and Compact 16 2-slot. I tried changing to C and it does change the temp...so it apparently is changing from F to C, but the temp is about 60 off. I changed to Yahoo weather and the temp and F is correct.)

The only thing I can think is that the icons are in the wrong directory...but theyused to work and I haven't moved them or deleted anything...and if the skins are showing up in the drop-down menu, they must be in the correct folder, which means the icons should be in the correct folder as well???

Well, I'd write more an give more examples, but I have to leave for work. I'm hoping this is something simple... Thanks!
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
08-13-2004, 03:08 AM -
Quote:I'm hoping this is something simple... Thanks!
It probably is. It sounds like your provider files aren't up to date. If you are using Weather Underground, get the updated provider file in this thread. Unfortunately, I don't think the Weather.com provider files work at all anymore. My theory is that Weather.com is using some sort of behind-the-scenes URL redirection to keep Weather Monitor from seeing the web page. I'd recommend using Yahoo Weather instead, because they get their data from Weather.com and don't change their page layout as frequently as Weather Underground.
If none of this helps, please give us your Weather Monitor version number, TLB version number, and URL you get your weather from.
sugarprincess

08-13-2004, 04:40 PM -
Well, hmmm. I leave my computer to go to work and I come home...and suddenly I have weather icons?!?! So I come here to post...and then just as suddenly, while I'm typing this response, the icons disappear again!!?!

I'm going to try updating that file you suggested.
sugarprincess

08-13-2004, 04:52 PM -
I downloaded and replaced that file (just deleted the old ini file and renamed the downloaded one, right?), rebooted...and still no icons (see pic). You can see I get the forecast, but there's an obvious blank spot where the icon should be. I know the icons are loaded correctly, because if I choose "change icon" I get a box with a ton of them.

I am using TLB v3.0 and Weather Monitor v1.3 beta. I am using Yahoo Weather 3-day with this URL: http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USNC0342.html
shapeshifter

08-13-2004, 06:56 PM -
Well, I never did get a complete list of conditions from Yahoo or Weather.com to put into that provider file, so there are probably a lot of icons that don't match up. What you can do as a work-around is do like you did to change the icon, select one that seems appropriate, and Weather Monitor will remember your choice whenever the conditions match the current conditions (Fair, Sunny, Cloudy, etc). Its a pain at first, I know, but will eventually become unnecesary.
sugarprincess

08-14-2004, 04:46 AM -
AHHH!! That makes perfect sense! I just thought my computer was going crazy!!

Might that also be the case with other providers as well? Just so I know... might try other proividers now that I know what's going on!
shapeshifter

08-14-2004, 02:19 PM -
Quote:Might that also be the case with other providers as well?

It's possible, but not likely. As a general rule, if the "Conditions" are listed (and accurate) in the tooltip and Weather Details, then the trick I mentioned previously will work. If the "Conditions" are blank, not there, or just wrong, the problem is more likely that the web page layout has changed.
sugarprincess

08-17-2004, 12:35 PM -
Do the weather pages change frequently? I was using Yahoo weather 3-day and it was working fine. Now, all I get is the humidity--no icon, no 3-day forecast, no temperature. I haven't changed ANY settings...

I tried Weather Underground, but that still gives me C readings instead of F.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
08-17-2004, 12:54 PM -
for weather underground try to add "&setunits=english" to URL (do not include quotes)
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
sugarprincess

08-17-2004, 02:41 PM -
Nope, didn't work. The URL is

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin....english

but I get NOTHING then--no icon, no weather, no forecast.
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
08-17-2004, 04:16 PM -
Tested from here (UK) to the URL:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin....y=28540
as adding &setunits=english took me straight to the home page.

I've found that I can toggle the display of C or F in the Connections & Units tab in Properties... for Weather Monitor, and use any skin. All using the attached wunderground provider file.

I've also inspected the raw HTML using Sam Spade 1.14 to see what's actually being read by Weather Monitor because of the cookie bug, and can't reproduce the problem here. The HTML contains the centigrade and fahrenheit temperatures. ???
Back once again...
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
08-17-2004, 11:45 PM -
Hello sugarprincess

This idea may not lead to anything but can you check Start>Settings>Control Panel>Regional Settings>Regional Settings Tab to see if it is set to English (United States)? Also in the same setting please check the Number Tab>Measurement system to see if it is set to U.S. and not Metric.

Perhaps on some computers it may make a difference.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
sugarprincess

08-18-2004, 02:31 AM -
Q, it's all English settings.

It's strange because it gives me a temp with a C reading (when it's set to give me F), but if I change it to C, the temp changes, and it still says C.

But, I've actually given up for now and am using Weather Forecast...although I don't like it nearly as much as Weather Monitor.
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
08-18-2004, 10:40 AM -
sugarprincess

We are dedicated to make your Weather Monitor work properly. If your patience has not run out perhaps we can try a little bit more. Let us know if you are game.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
mark davidson

5 posts 2 threads Joined: Jun 2002
08-18-2004, 02:19 PM -
sugarprincess Wrote:I am using TLB v3.0 and Weather Monitor v1.3 beta. I am using Yahoo Weather 3-day with this URL: http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USNC0342.html
fwiw, i concur with the yahoo weather problem. something has definitely changed there because i'm also not seeing icons and weather information isn't nearly as complete as before.