FLB Toolbar on right side of screen (vista)
Started by beerslayer

Rate this topic
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

1 posts in this topic
beerslayer

13 posts 6 threads Joined: Feb 2006
03-15-2011, 12:20 AM -
Hi, all -

Basically, I solved my own problem before looking through this forum, but since the solution may be useful to others, and I didn't see it already posted here, I'm posting it.

I have a laptop running Vista (SP2) and I've always had a FLB on the right side of the screen, independent of the main taskbar. Recently that taskbar went away (someone tinkered with it) and I couldn't figure out how to re-create it - I could create a new FLB on the taskbar, but I couldn't detach it to put it on the right side of the screen. This used to work in 2000 and XP (I think), but was disabled in Vista.

Fortunately, I found the solution:
1) Create a new folder ("New Folder") on the desktop.
2) Drag the new folder to the right edge of the screen and drop it there (I'd close the sidebar first, if you have it there). This should create a new, empty toolbar named "New Folder".
3) Right-click the new toolbar, and select Toolbars -> FreeLaunchBar (and choose whatever folder you like for your icons - your Quick Launch folder is OK).
4) Right click the new toolbar again, and unselect "New Folder".

You should now have a new FLB toolbar on the right side of the screen.

This solution works in Vista. I don't have Windows 7 so I don't know if it works there, but it might be worth a try. It also works on any edge of the screen, so if you like your toolbar on the left, or across the top, it works there too.
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing. - Anatole France