Truelauch Application Bar replacement - Suggestions for improving app bar
Started by Fracture

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
Fracture

24 posts 4 threads Joined: Oct 2002
06-10-2003, 01:46 PM -
This is a suggestion for an enhancement or possible new application similar to TrueLaunch.

I've always hated the application list in W2K. I'm refering to the list of icons showing running applications.

If you run many applications, the icons get uselessly small, or you have to make your app list multiple lines hogging too much real estate.

When I have a lot of applications running, I notice it is usually several copies of a handful of applications. For example, 5 terminal windows, a couple of mail messages, and some text editors.

How about this:
If more than one of the same application is running, it turns into a pop-up menu. If you click on the menu button, it pops the most recently accessed to the top.

If you click and hold (or right click... whatever), the list of similar applications opens as a menu, and you can click the one you want.

There could be further options, like advanced grouping that allows dissimilar applications to be grouped under a single nicely sorted menu. For example, I could have all my terminal and ftp applications in a single group.

Why do this?

If my five emails, 3 text editors, and 4 terminal windows are grouped, that turns into 3 application groups instead of 12 separate applications. You now have the real estate to show what is actually running.

Cheers,
Al
NilColor

28 posts 8 threads Joined: May 2003
06-10-2003, 10:53 PM -
Try to use WinXP Smile
With "Group similar taskbar buttons" option turned on...
Fracture

06-11-2003, 11:07 AM -
No thanks. I'll stick with W2K, thank you very much.
touki

23 posts 2 threads Joined: Apr 2003
06-12-2003, 06:50 AM -
what u are talking about can be done using xp functions, so there is no point making some special program to replace that, upgrade rather than try and get someone to make this program, well maybe you could learn to code and make it urself.
Eric J Johnson

193 posts 25 threads Joined: Jun 2001
06-12-2003, 08:37 AM -
Had to fix post, so lets not attack each other.

People are free to ask for things. (although you do not always get what you ask for) Big Grin

It took ALOT to rip me away from my win2k... it has alot less errors and much more stable.
Eric J. Johnson|Proud American|GetMeHosted.com|OC-192!
GetMeHosted.com Members Get TrueLaunchBar @ OVER 50% Off!
Support the American Red Cross: Click Here to donate
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
06-12-2003, 10:03 AM -
Actually I plan to make something like that in standalone True Launch Bar Wink
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Fracture

06-12-2003, 12:56 PM -
touki Wrote:what u are talking about can be done using xp functions, so there is no point making some special program to replace that, upgrade rather than try and get someone to make this program, well maybe you could learn to code and make it urself.
Well, your marvelous spelling and grammar not withstanding, I shall reply.

I do code, and quite well IMHO, but I know when I'm beaten. I am positive Yuri could do a far better job than I could hope to do based on his current body of work. I am also positive he could do a far better job than Microsoft has bothered to do in their marketting driven W2K replacement that I refuse to support.

This is also a discussion forum who's primary purpose is the exchange of ideas. You'd do well to use it for that purpose instead of flaming others.

Cheers,
Al
PsychoMark

122 posts 9 threads Joined: Jan 2003
06-13-2003, 05:28 AM -
Took me a while to "upgrade" too, the only reason was development testing... though I'm quite happy with it, now that every single annoying blue-colored or animated feature is disabled Big Grin. Love the anti-aliasing on fonts and the extremely short startup times (from 2 minutes on Win2K down to 30 seconds). Actually, I disabled the taskbar grouping option, but that's because I'm not used to it (Win2K-style all the way! )... after reading this, I think I'm gonna enable it again. The reason for this post is to support the idea. At work we're running Windows 2000 (and due to MS' license policies there's even more reason not to use XP), and this feature would make a nice addition to TrueLaunchBar!

Ok, maybe it still is a useless post, but I felt like posting anyways Smile