Disable Start Menu without disabling hotkeys?
Started by mlengowski

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

11 posts in this topic
mlengowski

6 posts 1 threads Joined: Apr 2005
04-14-2005, 04:33 PM -
Is it possible to disable the Start Menu with StartKiller but still allow the Windows key and Ctrl+Esc to show the Taskbar?

I don't like to automatically keep the Taskbar on top and it often gets hidden. I use the Windows key or Ctrl+Esc to bring it to the top. Of course, it has the annoying side effect of also showing the Start Menu.

I was thrilled beyond belief when I realized StartKiller could disable the Start Menu but I was bummed to find it prevented me from bringing the Taskbar to the top with a simple keystroke.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there a Windows hotkey that makes the Taskbar appear without the Start Menu? If not, is this something that could be added to StartKiller?

Thanks.
Texan

217 posts 61 threads Joined: Feb 2005
04-14-2005, 05:24 PM -
Start Killer doesn't disable the task bar..........the whole idea of start killer is to "enlarge" the task bar, by "disappearing" and giving you more space on the task bar..........

Are you saying that when you run Start Killer, that you TLB disappears??
If it does.......you have a problem??
Texan
mlengowski

04-14-2005, 06:21 PM -
If the Taskbar is obscured by open windows I just want to hit a key and have the Taskbar appear in front (i.e. on top) of those open windows.

Another way to look at it is I want the default behavior of the Windows key without the Start Menu appearing.

TLB is working fine.
Texan

04-15-2005, 03:35 AM -
I believe all you need to do is "reduce" the overall size of the windows that are covering the task bar; WINDOWS will remember the size you set, and the next time you open that window it will not cover the task bar.

I hope this helps....
Texan
mlengowski

04-15-2005, 10:15 AM -
Thanks for the suggestions. I understand what your are saying but I tend to work with many applications Maximized. They cover the entire screen, including the Taskbar.

I don't want to have to minimize every maximized application in order to find the Taskbar. I just want to hit the Windows key like I currently do.

StartKiller disables the Windows key when you tell it to disable the Start Menu.
Texan

04-15-2005, 10:28 AM -
Well maybe we're saying the same thing and maybe we're not.......

By "reduced", I did not mean minimized................I meant dragging the window by a corner to shrink it, thus making it smaller.......

I have two TLBs.....one along the bottom and one along the top.......
All my maximized windows fit between the two task bars nicely...

Cheers,
Texan
Texan

04-15-2005, 10:43 AM -
Here's my two task bars and a maximized window

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Texan
mlengowski

04-15-2005, 11:10 AM -
The misunderstanding here is that you are OK with using up screen space for your taskbars. There are many applications I use where I need every bit of available screen space possible. I don't want to see a taskbar until I need it.

I deselect "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows" in Taskbar properties in order to get all the screen space I can.

I attached an example of an app where it is nice to have as much screen space as possible.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Texan

04-15-2005, 11:16 AM -
Okay......I now see your need............you "need" the space on the screen that the TLBs use, and would like to toggle them on/off......

I'd even like that one........
Texan
mlengowski

07-20-2005, 12:52 PM -
For others who might run into this...

There is a Windows Meta Key combo I wasn't aware of (or forgot):

Meta + D = Show Desktop

Runs the Show Desktop command which minimizes all your applications and shows the toolbar WITHOUT the Start menu.

I'm not crazy about the key combo but it's better than nothing.
mlengowski

09-07-2005, 07:47 AM -
Windows Logo + Tab = Show Taskbar w/out Start Menu and cycle through Taskbar items

Strangely enough, the following also brings you to the taskbar but I couldn't find it documented anywhere:

Windows Logo + B = Show Taskbar w/out Start Menu and without selecting any Taskbar items

Thanks again Free Launch Bar and Start Killer for giving me a Start Button and Start Menu free Taskbar. It's been rock-solid in the few months I have been using it. Smile