Started by Gary Mugford

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Gary Mugford

23 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
07-26-2019, 08:35 AM -
Yuri,

Thought I'd give a try using DisplayFusion in place of old standy-by UltraMon for handling multiple monitors. Turns out TLB and DF don't get along because of some 'design decisions' by the DF developers. They don't particularly like non-DF objects on their non-primary monitor taskbars. And don't seem particularly inclined to change that stance. Although they DO say they'll add the request to the list and let everybody know if they get to it. (It's been repeated a LOT of times in the last seven years from what I could see)

So, do YOU have any ideas how to get around the DF reluctance?? I thought I might try to tear away the secondary monitor's bar, but that just leads to a folder on the secondary monitor's desktop. And with the various levels of menus I have on that bar, that's useless. Leaving aside my clock replacement and Time Up ticker.

Right now, while I fume over awaiting a reply from DF that I'm indeed stupid for having paid for the thing, I've got the two monitor's TLB bars on the main monitor, leaving, ONE INCH for all the program running icons on that monitor. DF converts them into a little up and down arrow to cycle showing them one at a time. I figure I can wait on this for 24 hours max. Then, I'm heading back to UltraMon.

Should have investigated more thoroughly. THAT time would have saved me time NOW ... and some money. Boy, do I wish my mother had never taught me to swear in public, because I've got a long string of words I'd like to use right now.

So, can you save DF from uninstall forever??? Thanks, GM

PS: Any chance you saw my note on a menu of drop targets in a tear off menu over in the Features sub-group?? And do I have any hope on THAT front???
Wisewiz
Speaks Ancient Geek

81 posts 31 threads Joined: Dec 2007
12-03-2019, 10:41 AM -
I find this strange. I had three monitors going on DF for years, and had very few if any problems that they didn't solve immediately. Maybe the personnel running it changed.
Wisewiz
To those who do not have any, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.
Gary Mugford

23 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
12-03-2019, 10:36 PM -
(12-03-2019, 10:41 AM)Wisewiz Wrote: I find this strange. I had three monitors going on DF for years, and had very few if any problems that they didn't solve immediately. Maybe the personnel running it changed.

I've long since uninstalled DF. Here is the quoted final reply of the thread I started with the Binary Fortress support person.

"Sorry, just to clarify, what I mean by there's no API for it, is that toolbars are (for lack of a better word) "plugins" for the Windows taskbar. Neither Windows, nor the toolbars provide a way for a third-party program to call them. The competing app [UltraMon] that does support toolbars has found a way to reverse engineer what the Windows taskbar does to load the toolbars, we haven't.

Good idea on contacting the developers of True Launch Bar. I'll put that on my list and see if they'd be interested in adding a way for us to call their toolbar from DisplayFusion."

I've assumed that the position of the contact request has not moved on that (probably mythical) list. There are other items that seem logically important that have languished, if a quick read of the BF support forum is indicative of. There were SOOO many things to like about DisplayFusion. Not enough to give up UltraMon. I've reserved my licence (I declined to get a refund. I PAY for my mistakes). And I might give it a try initially on a Win 10 machine. But I'm sanguine about DF support. So it's unlikely I don't continue using UltraMon, which does a VERY GOOD job that could be slightly better, when working with TLB.

I AM very curious as to how you got DF working with the multiple monitors with each maintaining linkage to the programs ON the monitor AND having it's own TLB. I'm old, but not TOOOOO old to learn new tricks.

Wisewiz
Speaks Ancient Geek

81 posts 31 threads Joined: Dec 2007
12-05-2019, 06:18 AM -
(12-03-2019, 10:36 PM)Gary Mugford Wrote: I AM very curious as to how you got DF working with the multiple monitors with each maintaining linkage to the programs ON the monitor AND having it's own TLB. I'm old, but not TOOOOO old to learn new tricks.

Problemo here: I am old, too, 79 next month, and I can't remember that far back. I know I was using DF on three monitors and using (for the work I was doing back then) all three daily, with three different programs on them, all launched by the then-and-still-fantastic TLB.

Sorry I can't help you with the DF problem.
Wisewiz
To those who do not have any, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.