Mulitple("Virtual")Desktop support?
Started by gaffo

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

0 posts in this topic
gaffo

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Jun 2012
06-29-2012, 04:53 PM -
by outside programs like Dexpot - or within your True Launch Bar pluggin applet?

I don't have any use for 3 extra desktops if those same desktops don't allow their own Icon-set with a quich launch bar (i.e what others have called "toolbox" PC Tools for Windows folks for yrs ago/"dock" Apple folks).

YEARS AND YEARS ago - 1993 in fact, on a lowely 486DX-33 running windows 3.1 I installed Central Points PC Tools for Windows: which offered a complet shell overhaul of windoze 3.1 - I had 4 Multidesktops (back then "Virtual Desktops" refered to desktops larger than the edges of the monitor one used - not more than one desktop) with THEIR ICON SET!!

Three years later - 96, I had Linux running KDE-1 which offer the same logical functionality: several desktops, with a "launch-bar" ("tookbox" - PC Tools parlance) aka "dock".or whatever the hell they call it now. I line of icons (no text) on the left of the screen from top to bottom. NOT the same icon strip for ALL 4 Desktops - thats like driving a 4 wheeled motorcycle, defeats the whole uselfullness of multidesktops if one cannot have separate icon sets per desktop.

Three years later under XP I used Dragstrip to do what the above two did.

--- now have trying to get Nexus Winstep/ Toolbox 2.89/ Rocketdock/ Objectdock? and now your application.......................when using them with Nexpot - it either get one of the aboves to ONLY show on the 1st desktop and not the other 3: OR I get ONE VERSION of the "Strip" on all 4 desktops (no Icon tayloring - i.e. if I remove a icon from the dock and go to the other desktops that same said icon is gone over there to!! (useless!!)).

-----------------

Well it looks like efficient desktop environments were invented by Central Point Software's PC Tools for Windows 20 yrs ago and now with Windows 7 I cant even attain what I had 20 yrs ago on a humble 486!

after 4-weeks trying every combo to try to make Windows 7 like Linux's KDE (i.e. useful), I give up.

It looks like I'm stuck with one desktop and since I never used either the taskbar nor the start-button (both just get in my way - lol)..............I'll be going back to rooting through directory hyerarchies to find the "exe" I need and double click it to get by ;-/.

I did try your plugin Virtual DEsktop 2 - but it seems to not support segregated docks per desktop and so I have sadly absolutely no use having more than one desktop (to the whole purpose of having say 4 desktops - is so you can define each according to function: desktop one - Office (so only office program icons on launch strip) - desktop two - Internet (so stuff like FTP client, Usenet Client, Usenet Uploader, mp3 player, Web Broswer) - desktop - three - Games - desktop four - audio/video (stuff like Blender, Audacity (that the name of the sound editor?), Inkscape..................

oh well - I've ranted enough ;-/. i guess at this point its Microsofts/Apples way or the highway.................I await the up and comming "touch screen" OS for my 60" HDTV to get all fingerprint-smudgy by M$'s command. lovely.