Types of buttons
Started by SeismicGuy

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
SeismicGuy

41 posts 11 threads Joined: Mar 2008
08-21-2012, 07:31 AM -
I am not sure if I inadvertently changed something regarding the behavior of one of the buttons or not but I cannot figure out how to revert to what I thought was the original behavior. Most of the buttons on my TLB have the little arrow designation and when I keep the mouse pointer on the button for a few seconds the menu pops up with the items within that button.

But I have one button that I labeled "Utilities" where there is no arrow (I am almost certain there used to be). For that button I need to click the mouse and then the menu pops up and stays there until I click the button again. In other words the Utility button is behaving almost like an on-off switch. I am not sure how this happened (not necessarily a bad thing) but how would I revert the button back to the more "typical" behavior?

Thanks,

Doug
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
08-21-2012, 07:44 AM -
Your menu "Utilities" is torn-off. To return it back to the default, right click in the menu and remove the check mark from the "Tear Off Menu" menu ite. Or press CTRL+T when the menu active.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
SeismicGuy

08-21-2012, 03:30 PM -
(08-21-2012, 07:44 AM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: Your menu "Utilities" is torn-off. To return it back to the default, right click in the menu and remove the check mark from the "Tear Off Menu" menu ite. Or press CTRL+T when the menu active.

Thanks--I ended up getting it back by restoring a previous TLB configuration. I am not even sure what a "tear off" menu is.

Doug
Now that the menu works right there is another weird problem. The menu item in question is named Utilities and I have a bunch of shortcuts in the menu. However, there is now a Utilities folder that shows up on the desktop. If I delete that folder the entire contents of the Utilities button disappears. If I restore that folder from the recycle bin the folder again appears on the desktop and the menu entries reappear at the Utilities button.

Care to guess what is going on here?

Thanks,

Doug
This post was last modified: 08-21-2012, 04:25 PM by SeismicGuy.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
08-22-2012, 01:15 AM -
Quote:Now that the menu works right there is another weird problem. The menu item in question is named Utilities and I have a bunch of shortcuts in the menu. However, there is now a Utilities folder that shows up on the desktop. If I delete that folder the entire contents of the Utilities button disappears. If I restore that folder from the recycle bin the folder again appears on the desktop and the menu entries reappear at the Utilities button.

I guess you've created the virtual folder, that shows the content of "Utilities" folder on the desktop. When you create menu the second field on the first wizard page is optional (Type the path for Virtual Folder). If you want the menu with shortcuts, you can leave this field blank and TLB will create the folder inside the toolbar folder.

How to fix this problem. Delete menu "Utilities" and create new with same name, but leave the VF path field blank. Then drag&drop all shortcuts from desktop folder "Utilities" the the created menu.

The second way: Right-click the "Utlilities" button and select "Open in explorer". Windows Explorer with selected folder "Utilities" will be opened. Go inside the folder "Utilities", delete the file namespace.fld, and copy all shortcuts from the desktop folder. Now refresh TLB (right-click->Refresh). In this case the buttons positions, icons, and other settings must be saved.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
SeismicGuy

08-22-2012, 07:24 AM -
(08-22-2012, 01:15 AM)Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:Now that the menu works right there is another weird problem. The menu item in question is named Utilities and I have a bunch of shortcuts in the menu. However, there is now a Utilities folder that shows up on the desktop. If I delete that folder the entire contents of the Utilities button disappears. If I restore that folder from the recycle bin the folder again appears on the desktop and the menu entries reappear at the Utilities button.

I guess you've created the virtual folder, that shows the content of "Utilities" folder on the desktop. When you create menu the second field on the first wizard page is optional (Type the path for Virtual Folder). If you want the menu with shortcuts, you can leave this field blank and TLB will create the folder inside the toolbar folder.

How to fix this problem. Delete menu "Utilities" and create new with same name, but leave the VF path field blank. Then drag&drop all shortcuts from desktop folder "Utilities" the the created menu.

The second way: Right-click the "Utlilities" button and select "Open in explorer". Windows Explorer with selected folder "Utilities" will be opened. Go inside the folder "Utilities", delete the file namespace.fld, and copy all shortcuts from the desktop folder. Now refresh TLB (right-click->Refresh). In this case the buttons positions, icons, and other settings must be saved.

A bit esoteric and certainly not intuitive. What I ended up doing was maybe simple-minded but it worked. I renamed the button that was on the TLB to Utilities1, dragged the Utilities folder into the TLB, and then deleted it from TLB instead of from the desktop.

That seems to have worked like a charm but I didn't really know what I was doing but, rather, just was an intuition to try.

Doug