Weather Monitor Improvment
Started by Handyman

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 posts in this topic
Handyman

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Apr 2003
04-04-2003, 02:25 AM -
How about adding some additional providers to the plugin? like yahoo weather http://weather.yahoo.com which is by far better than weather underground which sometimes page doesn't get updated for 2-3 days or some other times give wrong information.
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
04-04-2003, 09:40 AM -
The HTML on the Yahoo forecast pages isn't the best to work with, but it looks possible. I'll work on making a provider file for Yahoo weather.
Handyman

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Apr 2003
04-04-2003, 02:55 PM -
thanks man, I would try but my #### browser for some reason won't open the source of the page so I can't view what the source for yahoo looks like.
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
04-04-2003, 11:56 PM -
Handyman
If you let us know your zip code for the yahoo weather page we will obtain the source code and send it to you (as a text file) via PM or email if you like.

By the way - have you seen the page for AWS weather service? http://www.aws.com/aws_2001/asp/getLiveWeather.asp
They have the most weather stations in the United States so if you are in the USA the chances are the weather station closest to you is one of theirs.

HMSS Q Section
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
katoaristera

73 posts 19 threads Joined: Nov 2002
04-05-2003, 08:12 AM -
QSection Wrote:Handyman
If you let us know your zip code for the yahoo weather page we will obtain the source code and send it to you (as a text file) via PM or email if you like.
Hi, me too I would like to use Yahoo, 'cause my location (Monaco Monte-Carlo: http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/MNXX0001_f.html) is not reported in Weather Underground...
If it is not asking too much, can you help me too in giving me some consult on how to do? May be send my a template Yahoo page in wich I can insert my location...

Thanks Big Grin
shapeshifter

04-05-2003, 03:19 PM -
Drumroll, please...

Here it is, the Yahoo Weather provider file. I have no idea if all the possible weather conditions are represented or not. If you find one that doesn't have an icon, please let me know so I can add it to the provider file.

I like Yahoo Weather best so far because it's international, powered by Weather.com (so it's probably very accurate, reliable, and updated frequently), and has lots of information (including a 5 day forecast, so when Yuri fixes the tooltip > 1k "bug", I can add all that stuff, too). As it turns out, the HTML has lots of comments (generated from php, cgi, or the like) that act as landmarks for helping the plugin find the appropriate values easily enough.

NOTE: This provider file only works with Weather Monitor version 1.2 and above.

To install, download this file to your \TrueLaunchBar\Plugins\weathermon\providers directory (you can name the file whatever you like - I recommend yahoo.ini), then refresh Weather Monitor (right click -> Refresh). Next, right-click WM, select Properties, then change the provider to "Yahoo Weather". Click the ">>" button, navigate to your forecast page, then copy that URL back to the plugin's Properties window. Chose your skin and paramaters and click Ok. Now you're set. Enjoy...
IgwanaRob

7 posts 0 threads Joined: Apr 2003
04-05-2003, 05:44 PM -
shapeshifter Wrote:Drumroll, please...

NOTE: This provider file only works with Weather Monitor version 1.2 and above.

Nice work, but I am having the exact same problem with this file as with the WU file - it's showing 102° F even after refreshing and double checking the URL
katoaristera

73 posts 19 threads Joined: Nov 2002
04-05-2003, 11:56 PM -
IgwanaRob Wrote:Nice work, but I am having the exact same problem with this file as with the WU file - it's showing 102° F even after refreshing and double checking the URL
Thanks a LOOOOOOT shapeshifter! Big Grin

IgwanaRob: maybe you forgot to change Temperature preference in "Connection & Unit" tag under Weather Monitor properties Wink
shapeshifter

04-06-2003, 05:23 AM -
Quote:IgwanaRob: maybe you forgot to change Temperature preference in "Connection & Unit" tag under Weather Monitor properties
That's a good call. If he's expecting celsius, and WM reports in fahrenheit, that would account for nearly 70° difference (102°F = 38.9°C). My provider files pull the temperature off the page in fahrenheit, but WM has no problem converting it to celsius (centigrade) - I tested that before I "released" them. Changing the units on the above mentioned tab will also change the units suffix on the plugin (i.e. °F or °C).
IgwanaRob

04-06-2003, 08:35 AM -
shapeshifter Wrote:
Quote:IgwanaRob: maybe you forgot to change Temperature preference in "Connection & Unit" tag under Weather Monitor properties
That's a good call. If he's expecting celsius, and WM reports in fahrenheit, that would account for nearly 70° difference (102°F = 38.9°C). My provider files pull the temperature off the page in fahrenheit, but WM has no problem converting it to celsius (centigrade) - I tested that before I "released" them. Changing the units on the above mentioned tab will also change the units suffix on the plugin (i.e. °F or °C).
It's set for fahrenheit. It stopped working last night, and now it's back - telling me it's 107° when it's actually 42° - The WU version is telling me it's 109° and partly cloudy

It's the same on 2 computers, so it's not just this machine.

<edit>

Ok, when I set it to Celsius - it now shows the correct fahrenheit temperature - although with the wrong temp suffix on the mouseover (shows as 43°C when it's actually 43°F)
shapeshifter

04-06-2003, 04:54 PM -
Quote:Ok, when I set it to Celsius - it now shows the correct fahrenheit temperature - although with the wrong temp suffix on the mouseover (shows as 43°C when it's actually 43°F)
I tried both links you posted to the other forum, and both work correctly. It shows the correct temperature in both fahrenheit and celcius with the appropriate unit sufix. I don't understand why it works on my system but not on either of yours. What are your system specs? OS version, TLB version, WM version, etc.?
WinXP Pro (5.1.2600) SP1 TLB 3.0 IE 6.0.2800.1106 Shell 6.0.2800.1106
Command Line 3.3.0.0 Process Viewer 2.0.0.0 Calculator 1.0.0.0
Weather Forecast 1.0.0.0 Media Control 4.0.0.0 Volume Control 2.1.0.0
Net Monitor 1.4.0.0 Up Time 2.1.0.0 System Monitor 2.4.0.0
Drive Space 2.3.0.0 Mail Monitor 1.9.9.0 TLB Clock 1.3.0.0
IgwanaRob

04-09-2003, 05:11 PM -
I tried both links you posted to the other forum, and both work correctly. It shows the correct temperature in both fahrenheit and celcius with the appropriate unit sufix. I don't understand why it works on my system but not on either of yours. What are your system specs? OS version, TLB version, WM version, etc.?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Both machines are running XP Pro with SP1, and the desktop is using TLB version 2.2, WM 1.1 and the laptop is running TLB 2.0 WM 1.1

I see in the other thread that I am not the only one with this quirk (thankfully Wink )

Also, no weather images/icons are being shown at all with any of the new providers.

edit:

The original WU file is working fine now on the laptop.

On the desktop I upgraded WM to 1.2 which works correctly (after much tweaking).
shapeshifter

04-09-2003, 06:16 PM -
Ok.. the problem is that the provider files I wrote/modified only work with WM 1.2. And no, the old skins do not work in WM 1.2. There were too many improvements between 1.1 and 1.2 to be backward compatible, unfortunately.