Tordex Community

Full Version: Mail Monitor help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I always get e mail that says it was sent to someone else but some how It comes to me. What setting would I need to put in to stop all e mail that is sent to someone else e mail address but comes to me?

Someone on another site said the way to stop this is to add a filter for the mail by only allowing it if your address is listed in the TO: field or the CC: field.

The reason it comes to you is because the spammer puts one name in the To: field and lists all the others in the BCC: field (Blind Carbon Copy). That way you do not see who the other recipients are, other than the original "TO:".

Can this be done with Mail Monitor or will you be adding this option?

I get tons of e mails like this and am preying you can help me.
You must create filters:
To does not contain youremail@yourdomain.com
CC does not contain youremail@yourdomain.com
Yuri Kobets Wrote:You must create filters:

Great so this should fix my problem. Smile

I just thought of something. What if someone sends an E mail to more then just me and it has someone else e mail listed in the to area before me? Will that also be deleted? Like if a friend sent to lots of people.
Quote:I just thought of something. What if someone sends an E mail to more then just me and it has someone else e mail listed in the to area before me? Will that also be deleted? Like if a friend sent to lots of people

No, as long as the To: or Cc: fields contains your email address, it won't be deleted...

Perhaps you should also include the following rule, to avoid messages from mailing lists being deleted (they usually don't contain your email address):
Header field: X-Mailing-List
Search function: is not present
Dracula Wrote:
Quote:I just thought of something. What if someone sends an E mail to more then just me and it has someone else e mail listed in the to area before me? Will that also be deleted? Like if a friend sent to lots of people

No, as long as the To: or Cc: fields contains your email address, it won't be deleted...

Perhaps you should also include the following rule, to avoid messages from mailing lists being deleted (they usually don't contain your email address):

And what should I set this rule to do? Delete?

Ok I did what you said but now if I send an E mail to my self it gets deleted. Is that normal?
Generally I don't recommend set the "Delete" action for untested filters. You can mark message as spam by filter. And test some days.

Actually you must add a complex condition:
To does not contain <!-- e --><a href="mailto:youremail@yourdomain.com">youremail@yourdomain.com</a><!-- e -->
AND
CC does not contain <!-- e --><a href="mailto:youremail@yourdomain.com">youremail@yourdomain.com</a><!-- e -->
Press the "AND" to create this.
Dracula Wrote:

Just put in

What will this do? Should I also check off delete from server? And does anything go in the Value?

I need a little more help please.

I was able to stop e mails that do not contain my e mail address in the to Line. But How can I stop e mail that have my e mail in the to Line but also start with another name?

Is there anyway I could set it up so I could only get e mail that has my e mail in the to Line and also starts with my name. See when I get e mails that I want sometimes they will start with my full name,First name or just my e mail address. Those I would allow but not ones that don't even have my name. Anyway to do this?

Here is a sample of what I mean Now I am not Gertruida Dare!

TO Gertruida Dare

"Gertruida Dare" <youremail@yourdomain.com>

Now these I would like to get

"My Name" <youremail@yourdomain.com>

or

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:youremail@yourdomain.com">youremail@yourdomain.com</a><!-- e -->
The best way is using regular expressions. For example:

Code:
\"(Yuri Kobets|[[:print:]]*Kobets)\" <truesoft@penza.net>

This regular expression is true for all strings:
Code:
"Y.Kobets" <truesoft@penza.net>
"Yuri Kobets" <truesoft@penza.net>
"Kobets" <truesoft@penza.net>
And false if email or name is others. I've prepared small utility reTest. You can play with it to build regular expressions and test them on the some strings.

In the Mail Monitor the search function must be Contain/Does not contain regular expression.

Here you can find syntax for regular expressions.

I hope this helps.
That is a little cunfusing for me. Could you explain it a little easier maybe? Confusedhock:
Quote:That is a little cunfusing for me. Could you explain it a little easier maybe?
All are simple:
Header field: TO
Search function: Does not contain regular expression
Value: (\"(FirstName LastName|[[:print:]]*LastName)\"[[Confusedpace:]]*)*<*myemail@myemail.com>*

replace firstname, lastname and <!-- e --><a href="mailto:myemail@myemail.com">myemail@myemail.com</a><!-- e --> with your data and place this condition into rule that mark spam. Every email that contain your email address but incorrect name will be marked as spam.
Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:That is a little cunfusing for me. Could you explain it a little easier maybe?
All are simple:
Value: ("(FirstName LastName|[[:print:]]*LastName)"[[Confusedpace:]]*)*<*myemail@myemail.com>*

replace firstname, lastname and <!-- e --><a href="mailto:myemail@myemail.com">myemail@myemail.com</a><!-- e --> with your data and place this condition into rule that mark spam. Every email that contain your email address but incorrect name will be marked as spam.

Ok I did what you said but but for some reason now all e mail are being marked as spam. What could be wrong?

This is what I did

Value: ("(Ted Swith|[[:print:]]*Smith)"[[Confusedpace:]]*)*<*tedsmith@yahoo.com>*

Names are made up.

I would like to stop all e mails that do not have the following in the to list

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tedsmith@yahoo.com">tedsmith@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->

"Ted Smith" <tedsmith@yahoo.com>

"Ted" <tedsmith@yahoo.com>

This is just a sample not why real info Smile

So did i do something wrong?
I guess your value have a typo:
(\"(Ted Swith|[[:print:]]*Smith)\"[[Confusedpace:]]*)*<*tedsmith@yahoo.com>*
Yuri Kobets Wrote:I guess your value have a typo:
("(Ted Swith|[[:print:]]*Smith)"[[Confusedpace:]]*)*<*tedsmith@yahoo.com>*

Thanks for helping but I can not seem to get it to work. I will keep trying.
Pages: 1 2