Tordex Community

Full Version: Install for All Users?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please: is it possible to install TLB for all users rather than just the current logon? (I realise that, in my eagerness to get going, I may have missed such an option.)

If not: if I copy the contents of

C:\Documents and Settings\[first user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

to another user - will that reproduce the settings? I assume that the icons that I have in

C:\Documents and Settings\[first user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\~~images~~\icons

would still be referenced by the new contents of

C:\Documents and Settings\[SECOND user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

- please: would that be so?
TIA!
Quote:Please: is it possible to install TLB for all users rather than just the current logon? (I realise that, in my eagerness to get going, I may have missed such an option.)
This is possible if you know the way to import registry key from one account to all others. Here is the registry key you need:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop

It is the good idea to switch toolbar folder to other folder, where all accounts can access it.

Quote:If not: if I copy the contents of

C:\Documents and Settings\[first user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

to another user - will that reproduce the settings? I assume that the icons that I have in

C:\Documents and Settings\[first user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\~~images~~\icons

would still be referenced by the new contents of

C:\Documents and Settings\[SECOND user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

- please: would that be so?
You need copy ALL files, including "~~images~~" folder. Also you can create the toolbar backup on the first account and restore it on the second one.

And one more way: you can use the same toolbar folder for all accounts. Create the folder (for example c:\toolbar). When you open TLB hold down CTRL+SHIFT and TLB will ask you for folder.
Excellent. TVM!

I used this option:
> you can use the same toolbar folder for all accounts
> It is the good idea to switch toolbar folder to other folder, where all accounts can access it.

I spell out here the steps.
I hope that this may be useful for others.

Copy the folder
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
to C:\

Rename the new C:\Quick Launch folder to perhaps C:\TLB

If True Launch Bar is running:
Right-click the TaskBar,
click Toolbars,
click True Launch Bar to uncheck it and close True Launch Bar.

=======
In the spot where you wish True Launch Bar to appear:
Right-click the TaskBar,
click Toolbars,
hold down Shift,
click True Launch Bar

In the Dialog, choose the new folder, perhaps C:\TLB, [OK]

I needed to adjust the width of the TaskBar, and, because I have True Launch Bar at the top, drag down the divider.

After right-click TaskBar, Toolbars, you now see a new entry,
named after the folder you chose.
=======

Everybody warns you that editing the Registry can mess up the PC.
So it can, but you have to be very clumsy to do that.
If you wish and if your Windows allows it,
you can create a System Restore point so that
if you do go wrong, you can easily go back.

Open a Registry Editor.
One way: Start|Run|type: regedit|[OK]
Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop
Through the menu (varies with the Editor used)
Export the Key to a folder you choose,
choosing a suitable filename - I used TLB.

Close the Editor and everything else and log off.

Log on as another user.
In Windows Explorer or similar, navigate to the folder you chose, find the .reg file that was Exported,
double-click it, or right-click, Open.
In the Dialog, choose [Yes].
Repeat the steps between the ======= lines above.
If necessary, repeat this for other users.