Tordex Community
Please help with "Turn Off Computer" skin - I must be doing something stupid... - Printable Version

+- Tordex Community (http://forum.tordex.com)
+-- Forum: True Launch Bar plugins (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Plugin features and improvements (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Please help with "Turn Off Computer" skin - I must be doing something stupid... (/thread-1303.html)

- Scott - 03-03-2004

Please help with this. I am trying to make a series of simple Turn Off Computer skins. Attached is one example.

If you look at the screen shot of the skin, you can clearly see the problem. However, I have what I think are the correct values for the upper left corners of the restart.png and cancel.png buttons. I don't understand why they don't draw correctly when the skin is used.

Like I said, I must be doing something ######, but I can't see what. And if there is a doc for the skin design, I can't find it. (Not that there really needs to be such a doc, it's so simple.)

Please note that I am purposely including only a "Restart" option with this particular skin. My intent is to have a separate skin for each option (Restart, Turn Off, Log Off, etcetera), and to have those various options accessible in a menu.

- Scott - 03-03-2004

This is what I have intended for the skin to look like.

- ozxar - 03-03-2004

the problem is that you haven't got a three stage png, :normal, hover and pressed
tlb automatically chops the png into 3

- ozxar - 03-03-2004

they are stacked on top of each other sorry, like the one i show

- Scott - 03-03-2004

I am officially the stupidest human alive. All hail me! Sad

Thanks!

- ozxar - 03-03-2004

lol, youre not the first, it took me a long while to figure this one out as well Big Grin

- Scott - 03-03-2004

The truly depressing thing is that I did look at the two other skins that install with the plugin--and it still didn't dawn on me!

Thanks again! Big Grin

- shapeshifter - 03-04-2004

Not sure if this helps you or not, but have you seen the CloseWin True Small Tool which opens up the default dialog box (that you are recreating) on a click?

You can also set the Turn Off Computer plugin to perform an action on click (like restart) without bringing up the dialog box. For instance, I have a "Power" menu with 3 Turn Off Computer plugins, each set to perform one of Restart, Shutdown, or Log Off with no additional clicking necesary. So essentially, I can perform any of these actions with only one click.

- Scott - 03-04-2004

Yeah, I knew. I didn't want the tool, because it was screwing around with that default drop-down list that I wanted to avoid in the first place.

And I knew about the ability to perform an action with just one click (or also with just a simple confirmation dialog), but I just wanted a standard WinXP look, with one level of confirmation (because I don't trust myself, running at 1920x1200 resolution as I do).

So, I did it for a reason. And I like the result.

- djmorgan - 03-04-2004

I don't know if this is on topic or not but I only ever do 3 things in terms of power Off, Restart or suspend.

Suspend is via a button on the keyboard or a timed function. Off and Restart is by 2 small buttons on the TLB that run a small application from beyondlogic (free)(Shutdown.exe) that allows any state of the computer without prompt screens.

I figure you know what you want to do when you press a button without being asked again..... Big Grin

- Scott - 03-04-2004

Is it common practice in these forums to second guess and criticize people to death when they try to simply contribute something to the TLB community? Is that a normal thing? Because if it is, I'm out of here.

I have a 24" monitor that I run at 1920x1200 resolution and 120 DPI. This is not a problem, but things are pretty small on my screen, and I occasionally--not often, but occasionally--make a mistake. I wouldn't like for that mistake to be an unintended restart or shut down, particularly since I use this machine to run a web server.

If you're a surgeon, a fighter pilot with 10/10 vision, you run a lower resolution, or you're just less paranoid than I, well then congratulations, and don't use these skins. And let that be the end of it.

- HorusUK - 03-04-2004

Quote:Is it common practice in these forums to second guess and criticize people to death when they try to simply contribute something to the TLB community? Is that a normal thing? Because if it is, I'm out of here.
That's not the case at all, Scott. But then, I can only truly speak for myself! I for one, value your contributions so far, and look forward to whatever contributions you can make in the future.

BTW, I am blessed with 20/20 vision, but have a partner who is considerably less gifted, so I have to compensate when it comes to our computers. Hence my interest in TLB... It helps us both.

- djmorgan - 03-04-2004

It certainly was not my intention to criticise anybody and re reading my message, I don't believe it could be construed as a criticism - perhaps you are over sensitive Wink

I was only making the population aware that there was an application that could be useful for computer control. :angry:

To threaten to leave a group over such a small matter seems petulant to say the least.

- Scott - 03-04-2004

Your previous post could easily be titled "Why I don't need this skin of yours", and that's why I took offense. If that wasn't the intent, well, oops on me. But before you even posted, I had already acknowledged that I wanted a confirmation before rebooting:
Quote:I knew about the ability to perform an action with just one click (or also with just a simple confirmation dialog), but I just wanted a standard WinXP look, with one level of confirmation...
I can't imagine someone starting a thread for their Weather Monitor skin, only to chime in to say "If I want to know what the weather is like, I just look out the window."

Perhaps you are not sensitive enough. Or, to use another rather obscure adjective, "pachydermatous".

- djmorgan - 03-04-2004

Thick-skinned! not sensitive to ridicule, hey I can take criticism when it's deserved, which it is not in this case.

Perhaps you could have seen my comment as being a way to improve your quest with a simple program that by use of a switch could have accomplished all you wanted to do with 1 skin instead of many.

anyway I'm sure this forum was not created for members to slang off at each other so it ends here and I'll ensure I do not encroach on any more of your well structured posts..... ???