Tordex Community
Great program so far, just have a few questions... - Printable Version

+- Tordex Community (http://forum.tordex.com)
+-- Forum: True Launch Bar (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Features Discussion (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Great program so far, just have a few questions... (/thread-1915.html)

Great program so far, just have a few questions... - UK2K - 03-17-2005

Hi all,

I'm currently evaluating several Desktop toolbars, the best of which will be intergrated into my employers retail software which is used Nation wide. (of course we'd be purchasing all the necessary licenses Big Grin )

True toolbar has many of the functions we have been looking for and much more, however as with most other toolbars out there at the moment, they are tailer made for home use which means they have features which we really don't need/want.. I was wondering if anybody could answer the following question..

Q. I need to make sure that users of the toolbar are unable to delete file/folders from the computer completely.. I noticed that if I created a vitural folder on the toolbar a user could simply right click the icon and choose delete the actual folder or program from the computer, this wouldn't be good for us at all.. is there a way to stop them from doing this? or maybe even remove the delete option from the sub menu?

I did notice that I could protect the folder with the 'protect' option.. however the files/folders within that protected folder where still able to be deleted.. there's no way i'm going through 100's of files to protect them all individualy.

other than that one major flaw this toolbar seems pretty much stable and easy to use, with some great custom features.

any help from anybody would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Stu

HIDE versus Delete - Texan - 03-17-2005

This may not be the answer you need, but it's a "band aid" solution......

Rather than delete the Virtual filder from the bar or menu, you have a selection called "HIDE".........this effectively removes the VF "without deleting any files or folders..........

Some training would be required, but it's a fix..........

Wrongly worded - UK2K - 03-17-2005

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

After reading through my original post I noticed that I may have worded it wrongly.

I always set specific folders onto the toolbars that run different parts of our retail package, so I don't actualy want to hide or delete any of the folders on the toolbar.

My problem is, that users being users... have a tendency to mess around with things and may infact accidently remove one of the buttons. what I am looking for is a way to protect the folders from being deleted, but still make them useable. the protect option is perfect... but it doesn't seem to protect the contents as well as the folder it's self. is there a way to protect a whole folder and it's contents?

I would have thought that selecting the 'lock buttons' option would have solved my problem, but it hasn't.

Thanks for your response though, appreciate it

Stu

- ozxar - 03-18-2005

Hi UK2K and welcome to the forums,

There is a way to to remove options from the Context menu, by using the TLB Context Menu Builder alpha.
With this tiny app you can edit the context menu's in TrueLaunchBar.
To use any context menu made by the program,
1. Make sure the .xml files are saved into the "contextmenu" folder in TLB's Root folder
2. Open Up TLB Settings windows, and select the "Context Menu" Option on the side
3. Select Which context you want to use, and where

Although this is not a fool-proof way to stop people deleting things, it will stop them playing around with settings and deleting files from the context menu

Thanks - UK2K - 03-18-2005

Great =)

I'll have a look today and see how it goes..

Thanks again,

Stu

Perfect - UK2K - 03-18-2005

Perfect, this is just what I was looking for.

The delete option has been removed and this new little menu builder program could be useful for me in other ways too.

Appreciate the prompt reponses