Tordex Community
How To Create Menu With Multiple Columns - Printable Version

+- Tordex Community (http://forum.tordex.com)
+-- Forum: True Launch Bar (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Features Discussion (http://forum.tordex.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: How To Create Menu With Multiple Columns (/thread-1964.html)

How To Create Menu With Multiple Columns - jsaffer - 04-16-2005

Hi all,

I'm pretty computer savvy, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create my main menu with more than one column. I can't figure out how to access the Customize Menu dialog. I can't find it anywhere. The help menu says to "open the menu to be customized" and then right-click on any item of that menu in order to customize the menu.

After I installed True Launch Bar, it recognized all the programs I had listed in my Windows XP standard Quick Launch Bar. Is this the menu that I can now customize? Or do I have to create a different kind of menu in order to access the customization feature with the right-click method?

Please help. Thanks very much.

....Jason

- Dracula - 04-17-2005

Quote:After I installed True Launch Bar, it recognized all the programs I had listed in my Windows XP standard Quick Launch Bar. Is this the menu that I can now customize? Or do I have to create a different kind of menu in order to access the customization feature with the right-click method?

No, this is not the menu, that's the toolbar itself.

You can create your own menu's by right-clicking anywhere on this toolbar, and choose New --> Menu. You can then drag shortcuts into this new menu...

In order to change the menu's appearance, open it and right-click on the title bar. There you can change the View (for example to 'Multicolumn text menu') or open the Customize menu... window.

Multi-Columns - Texan - 04-17-2005

Right clicking on the menu, and selecting VIEW, doesn't give you a Mulit-column choice..............it merely gives you icon size and text......

Open a menu; then right click on a menu item.........

Find CUSTOMIZE menu, (You may have to scroll down).....

Select Customize menu..............

THEN SELECT VIEW..............and one of the options is "multi-column"

To the right of this selection is a box that allows you to select the Number of columns........

Cheers,

Multi-Column BUG - Texan - 04-17-2005

Bye the way.........the current version 3.24 of TLB has a menu bug that
Yuri is aware of ...................It may lose it's multi-column memory periodically...............

Multi-Columns - jsaffer - 04-17-2005

Ah, I see. In other words, the original "menu" list that TLB creates from my original Windows XP Quick Launch menu is actually considered to be a toolbar and there is no way to create multiple columns on that list. I have to, instead, create a menu item -- which is kind of a "sub-menu" to my original list -- and on that new menu I can create multiple columns. I was able to do that. Then I told TLB to sort by name and the new menu icon shows up on my TaskBar at the bottom of the screen, which I like.

Here's another question. Can I use any .jpg image as a overlay image background on this new menu list? I tried to browse to a .jpg image on my hard drive, but it seems to be looking for a PNG file. What is a PNG file and can I convert a .jpg into a png file?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

Overlays must be PNGs - Texan - 04-17-2005

Yes......overlays must be png files.......there's a lot of programs out there that'll convert jpg to png.......I believe I used Paint shop Pro....

- Dracula - 04-17-2005

Quote:Ah, I see. In other words, the original "menu" list that TLB creates from my original Windows XP Quick Launch menu is actually considered to be a toolbar and there is no way to create multiple columns on that list.

Are we talking about the same thing now? Let's just call the root-list the "toolbar" and all sub-lists a "menu", like this:
[Image: toolbar_menu.png]

And then I wonder, how do you imagine a multi-column toolbar looks like?

Multi-Column Menu - Texan - 04-17-2005

I believe we are talking about a multi-column MENU..................

- jsaffer - 04-17-2005

Before I installed TLB, my Quick Launch menu looked like the #1 below. The background of the menu is white. I'm calling this a "menu," even though I think it's considered to be a toolbar. After I installed TLB, I saw a listings of programs (with a green background that I added, all in one column) as in #2 below. This was my first TLB menu or toolbar. I was *not* able to make this column into 3 columns UNTIL I added a menu item to this green list, and then had that menu item show up in the TaskBar at the bottom of the screen when I reordered the order of the listings by name. I changed the icon for this new TLB menu item into a multi-colored beach ball, which you can see in the picture below (#3). As you can see, I customized that menu into 3 columns.

Does all this make sense, or is there some procedure I'm missing to make it all go easier? I now have my "beachball" menu with 3 columns, but I've also still got the green one-column menu that TLB created when first installed.

....Jason

[Image: 1.jpg]
[Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg]

- Dracula - 04-17-2005

Aaah, that explains! The extender (of the toolbar Wink) that you see is actually provided by Windows, and I believe cannot be controlled by TLB...

And anyway, you shouldn't even have to *use* that extender: the idea of TLB is to categorize shortcuts into their own menu's and get rid of the extender... Besides, these TLB menu's can be fine-tuned in appearance and behaviour, as you already found out Smile