Tordex Community

Full Version: Crashing - I need to erase TLB and start over
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Vista HP, TLB 4.2

I purchased the software today, and perhaps moved too quickly.

The popup menus worked fine - very impressive. I then set up plug-ins, such as a clock, and then some virtual folders, which also worked. However, I tried to move one very large (more than 1GB) folder into TLB and the system went crazy.

The screen went white and then flashed a few times. TLB went to the top of the screen and nothing I did would fix it. I had to do a hard shutdown, and it took more than five minutes to reboot. And then, I found many settings changed, including the task bar. It was completely re-arranged, with both TLB and QLB running at the same time. It took quite a while to clean up.

Perhaps the best choice now is to remove and reinstall TLB and avoid large folders. It is also possible that the folder which I was moving held TLB data.

I would like some guidance on removal, and if you recognize the problem please help me (and others) avoid it.

Thanks
Quote:However, I tried to move one very large (more than 1GB) folder into TLB and the system went crazy.
What do you mean by that? Did you actually move a folder onto the toolbar, or did you create a virtual menu to it? What was in that folder, filetype, amount of files...?

As a test I just created a virtual menu to a folder with 24 videofiles (total size 25Gb) and it works without a glitch, just takes some time when opening it, but that's probably because it's an old laptop.

Please describe the steps to reproduce the problem in more detail.
Sure - thanks!

In retrospect: when I installed, there was point regarding plug-ins, and I think installation went past that step inadvertently absorbing ALL of them. I now see a l-o-n-g list... and don't know if they're integrated into TLB or accessible to it.

Trying to set up --- I created a folder in TLB, labeled it and changed its icon. I then dragged a couple of desktop folders into it as shortcuts.

Everything seemed fine.

I had the idea that the desktop could be uncluttered by dragging the folders themselves, not the shortcuts, into that TLB folder. I deleted some shortcuts and dragged the actual folders themselves into the TLB folder.

Meanwhile, I was enjoying myself, reducing and simplifying - probably most here go through that - and moved several things around.

Somewhere in all that experimenting and cleaning up it came to me that I needed better access to certain folders within folders, and made some sort of change that was logically impossible - but I don't know what it was. The symptoms I've described.

EDIT: There is a possibility that one of the folders dragged into TLB had something in it that some app or system file depended on and then couldn't find. END EDIT

Once the desktop was back, I tried to reverse the things I'd done - one by one - but each step took minutes to complete. Eventually it got to a point where things settled down.

Right now everything's working, but I worry that something's potentially unstable. I can leave it alone, or start afresh.

The reason I don't simply uninstall and start over is that there are apps (not shortcuts) and folders (not links) down there, and though I use Mozy for a perfect backup that would be a LOT of work.

Last point: this might be one of the smartest software purchases I've ever made, if I can just get past this startup curve.
Well, it crashed again. I wanted to open a folder (not a shortcut to a folder), and got a flashing white screen. TLB jumped to the upper left corner of the display. A lot was going on, and part of the START menu appeared for a while. The cursor moved, but not properly - it jumped wildly to different points on the screen.

I couldn't get control, so held the power switch until the unit quit. It again took a l-o-n-g time to boot, but eventually seemed stable. I rebooted, and it was normal (1.5 minutes).

Something's seriously wrong, and I probably did it by fumbling around, dragging folders and links with impossible nesting.

Before I disable this potentially excellent tool and start fresh, I welcome input.

This is a dual core Intel at 1.83 GHz (as I recall), 2GB, Vista Home Premium, and there are no unusual apps or utilities running.