Started by Yuri Kobets

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
12-06-2012, 03:49 PM -
Metro Killer disable the Windows 8 Metro User Interface, including new Windows 8 start menu and the Charms Bar.

Metro Killer does not require installation. Just run it and enjoy.

To return things back, you have to restart your computer, or kill and restart the Windows Explorer (explorer.exe).

Metro Killer homepage
Download Metro Killer
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Philip Goddard

17 posts 3 threads Joined: May 2010
12-09-2012, 09:44 AM -
Metro Killer just might be what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure yet. There are various programs that simply bypass the Start Screen on boot-up, and indeed I'm currently using Classic Shell, which does that, but what I really would like is to have the Start Screen out of memory altogether, and preferably not to load in the first place. So, does Metro Killer actually remove the Start Screen from memory, or does it simply make an exceptionally good job of making it inaccessible?

Also, either way, what I would really like to do with Metro Killer is have it load automatically with Windows. For that purpose I would naturally want it to operate automatically, without a prompt. Is that allowed for in Metro Killer? Presumably in that case there would be a command parameter to use in order for the program to operate invisibly, without a prompt, but this isn't mentioned in your website information about the program.
-- Philip
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
12-09-2012, 09:57 AM -
Quote:Metro Killer just might be what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure yet. There are various programs that simply bypass the Start Screen on boot-up, and indeed I'm currently using Classic Shell, which does that, but what I really would like is to have the Start Screen out of memory altogether, and preferably not to load in the first place. So, does Metro Killer actually remove the Start Screen from memory, or does it simply make an exceptionally good job of making it inaccessible?
Metro Killer stops the start screen. I afraid it is not free the memory, but you'll save some resources after Metro Killer.

Quote:Also, either way, what I would really like to do with Metro Killer is have it load automatically with Windows. For that purpose I would naturally want it to operate automatically, without a prompt. Is that allowed for in Metro Killer? Presumably in that case there would be a command parameter to use in order for the program to operate invisibly, without a prompt, but this isn't mentioned in your website information about the program.
Use the command switch /s
Code:
MetroKiller.exe /s
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Philip Goddard

17 posts 3 threads Joined: May 2010
12-09-2012, 10:22 AM -
Many thanks for that. Initially, the program didn't work as a regular Windows auto-start entry, but I tried adding it to my WinPatrol delayed startup list, with a delay of 30 seconds, and actually more or less simultaneously with Start Killer - and it works fine when run like that.

Incidentally, I still use Start Killer because my True Launchbar pseudo-Start Button is unable to dock at the left-hand edge of the taskbar until Start Killer has run, even though there is no actual Start button.
-- Philip