Started by aliko

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
aliko

4 posts 2 threads Joined: Nov 2004
11-28-2004, 11:53 PM -
Hi,

On a few ocassions Explorer.exe use %100 of cpu, which effectively locks up my computer, sometimes it turns back to normal in a few minutes, sometimes I have to kill its process.

I am using Windows XP SP2 (same problem occured with SP1 a few times)
True Launch Bar 3.2
1GB RAM

"Automatically search for network folders and printers" is disabled.

I am a registered user.
Is there a solution to this problem?

thanks.
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
11-29-2004, 02:31 AM -
What evidence do you have that TLB causes this problem? There are many reasons why explorer.exe may do this, none of them related to TLB.

Could you provide full version information and a list of all the processes you have running, and we can go from there.

In case you haven't already got it, Hijack This! is an ideal program to use for this. Big Grin
Back once again...
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
11-29-2004, 02:43 AM -
Also tell us what plugins do you use?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
aliko

11-29-2004, 08:06 AM -
I regularly check my system against virii / spyware programs.

The said problem occurs randomly It can happen when I start my computer or when I am working and my computer has been on for five days.

My toolbar layout and installed programs are below.

thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
11-29-2004, 02:04 PM -
An even better question is have you altered or customised (not necessarily a bad thing) any plugins?
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
11-29-2004, 05:03 PM -
aliko Wrote:I regularly check my system against virii / spyware programs.
I wasn't doubting the security of your system. I asked for the additional information so that I can see what other processes are running alongside TLB.

aliko Wrote:The said problem occurs randomly It can happen when I start my computer or when I am working and my computer has been on for five days.
Precisely why it would be handy if you could post a list of active processes...

Thanks! Big Grin
Back once again...
aliko

11-30-2004, 02:02 AM -
Hi,

I have three instances of weather monitor running with the skins I made, some stock quotes & exchange rates etc. other than that I have not changed / customized any of plugins.

When I face the problem next time I will try to capture the process list. Currently everything goes as normal.

Thanks.
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
11-30-2004, 05:53 AM -
Sometimes when one has created customisations for the plugins one gets the coding slightly off and the plugins use resources like you see. This does not mean that is your case, though.

A sure way to find out if this is the case is to do this:
If you have changed only a skin of a plugin then try and change the skin to default or to one of the skins that came with the plugin. Do this one at a time.

If you have changed only an .ini file then delete that plugin for the moment and see what happens. If more than one is changed try them one at a time as in delete suspect #1 and check resources then leaving #1 deleted delete #2 and check resources etc. The thing to do is one at a time. Hopefully this way you will see which one is causing the problem.

It is possible to have what appears to be a correctly running plugin but actually having incorrect code running in it and it still "works".

Try this and let us know what happens. It is only necessary to do this experiment with plugins you have modified in any way.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service