Explorer: common tasks instead of tree in folder bar
Started by rene

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
rene

4 posts 1 threads Joined: Mar 2005
03-08-2005, 10:54 AM -
When I open a shortcut to a folder in TLB, Windows Explorer always opens with the 'common tasks' in the explorer bar on the left side. I need to do View > Explorer bar > Folders to get my folders back :cry:

When I start Windows Explorer outside of TLB, it shows the folder tree by default.

Is this caused by TLB in some way? Anything I can do about it :?: I hate those common tasks and would really like to see the tree view by default.

I'm using True Launch Bar 3.2 on Windows XP Pro SP-2.

Thanks in advance...
René Pijlman
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
03-08-2005, 07:22 PM -
Hello rené and welcome to the TLB Forum!

Perhaps you can right-click the shortcut and change the Target in the Properties of your shortcut to something like this:

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,C:\your folder\

Please notice there is a space slash e comma C: etc....

Try this and let us know if it works for you.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
03-09-2005, 02:00 AM -
And here's the Micro$oft knowledgebase article that gives details for all the available command line switches for explorer.exe to expand on the answer that Q Section gave. Big Grin
Back once again...
rene

03-09-2005, 03:14 AM -
Thanks HorusUK and Q Section (wow, those names Smile ). I know about command line options to alter the behaviour of specific shortcuts, but I was talking about the default behaviour of Windows Explorer, also when started by clicking a virtual folder in TLB.

I dug a little deeper. It turns out the same thing happened when starting Windows Explorer from a regular Windows shortcut.

I found the solution in another forum: it has to do with the default action on the file type 'folder' mysteriously being messed up.

I fixed it by going to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder options > File types > Folder > Advanced. It already showed 'explore', which is correct. I set it to 'open' and nothing changed. So I set it back to 'explore' and the problem is gone. Windows Explorer now opens with folders by default, also when started from TLB.

Fact is, I've never seen this behaviour before (I've always had folders by default) untill I installed TLB. Can the installation of TLB have messed with the registry settings?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just asking :wink:
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
03-09-2005, 11:56 AM -
The default command for folders is "Open". If you want to change it to "Explore" open Folder Options and click "File Types" and select "Folder" file type in the list. Click Advanced button, select "Explore" in the list of Actions and press "Set Default" button.

Now all shortcuts to folders must be opened with folder tree.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
rene

03-09-2005, 01:02 PM -
No offense Yuri, but I don't think you've really read my posting. The 'solution' you describe is precisely what I described myself.

And I said:
Quote:It already showed 'explore', which is correct.
and
Quote:I've never seen this behaviour before (I've always had folders by default)

I may be a coincidence though, and something else may have messed with the settings.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
03-09-2005, 04:13 PM -
Sorry I've missed your last post Confusedhock:

Quote:Fact is, I've never seen this behaviour before (I've always had folders by default) untill I installed TLB. Can the installation of TLB have messed with the registry settings?
TLB do not change the default command for folders and other files.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
rene

03-09-2005, 04:26 PM -
I see, thank you all :notworthy: It must have been something else (or someone :evilSmile