Started by t.s.lim

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
t.s.lim

35 posts 12 threads Joined: May 2005
09-21-2005, 06:15 AM -
Hi Yuri,

I prefer to use keyboard (very easy to use a combination of hotkey + accelerate key to reach an option) whenever possible with TLB, but it does not treat accelerate keys correctly.

1) If I use a hot key to bring up a menu, isn't better to have focus automatically move to the first option on the menu (I mean we will see cursor immediately placed at the first option). I guess, when a menu is up, focus is placed at the button which holds the menu, but that is not a good choice. I will need to first hit a [up] key to make the curosr appear, please see my attachment

2) TLB allows "&" to make a character (in the option caption) looks like an accelerate key, but it never cares to move cursor according to accelerate keys. I notice that cursor is moved by TLB according to first character of option caption (even if it has a accelerate key in the mid, see attachment)

Would you mind make this accelerate key function correctly?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

t.s.lim
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
09-21-2005, 08:30 AM -
Quote:1) If I use a hot key to bring up a menu, isn't better to have focus automatically move to the first option on the menu (I mean we will see cursor immediately placed at the first option). I guess, when a menu is up, focus is placed at the button which holds the menu, but that is not a good choice. I will need to first hit a [up] key to make the curosr appear, please see my attachment
I agree. Actually this a bug. Thank you.

Quote:2) TLB allows "&" to make a character (in the option caption) looks like an accelerate key, but it never cares to move cursor according to accelerate keys. I notice that cursor is moved by TLB according to first character of option caption (even if it has a accelerate key in the mid, see attachment)
You must to press ALT+Accelarator key to use accelerators.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
t.s.lim

09-21-2005, 08:50 AM -
Yuri,

Use ALT forfeit the term accelerate, it make lot of different...

AND THERE IS A BIG PROBLEM:
If I have a hotkey ALT-H assigned to an item in another menu, that will overwrite ALT-H as an accelerate key in current menu. In fact, that make it unwise to use any ALT+[A - Z] as hotkey. Please do something with this...

Currently press a key (without ALT) will move the cursor according to first character of a caption, this means there is a seek across the options, why don't just make this one directly seek against those &characters
I know many windows program has this kind of GUI standard, but I can name you a few other applications that does exactly what I am requesting...

Can you at least make it an option so that I can choose not to use [ALT]for accelerate keys?
t.s.lim
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

09-21-2005, 01:32 PM -
Quote:Use ALT forfeit the term accelerate, it make lot of different...
Why different? Using ALT for accelerators it is standard for Windows

Quote:If I have a hotkey ALT-H assigned to an item in another menu, that will overwrite ALT-H as an accelerate key in current menu. In fact, that make it unwise to use any ALT+[A - Z] as hotkey. Please do something with this...
Generally it is not recommended to asing hotkey with only ALT or CTRL keys. Most applcations uses this combination as internal accelerator.

Quote:Currently press a key (without ALT) will move the cursor according to first character of a caption, this means there is a seek across the options, why don't just make this one directly seek against those &characters
I know many windows program has this kind of GUI standard, but I can name you a few other applications that does exactly what I am requesting...
TLB allow to select menuitems not only by first letter. You can type any number of letters. More over by typing you can select only. By using accelerators you run item. More over accelerators are applied and to the parent menus/toolbar.

Quote:Can you at least make it an option so that I can choose not to use [ALT]for accelerate keys?
Let's ask other TLB users. If it is "very needed" feature I'll add it.
The TORDEX Team
t.s.lim

09-21-2005, 05:44 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:Use ALT forfeit the term accelerate, it make lot of different...
Why different? Using ALT for accelerators it is standard for Windows

Not true.
Windows standard does need a [ALT] when you want to bring up a menu, e.g. ALT+F for IE's "File menu", but once the menu is up or focus is already on the menu, you don't need to press [ALT] any more, instead you can simply hit an accelerate key not only to move your cursor there but to actually select it. Please see attachment.

For TLB:
1) You will need to press simultaneously with 2 fingers, one at [ALT] another at the &accelerate key (sometime with the 2 fingers strecth widely, not easy, try ALT+Y, you will see what I mean)
2) By pressing the ALT+<key> you only move cursor to the corresponding option on the menu, you need to hit [ENTER] to actually select it.

For IE's pulldown menu:
You need only 1 finger, simply hit the <key> will do all 1) and 2) above (please see the attachment)

So if TLB is complying to Windows's standard, I think the IE's pulldown menu is a good one to follow

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

t.s.lim
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

09-23-2005, 10:09 AM -
Quote:Not true.
Windows standard does need a [ALT] when you want to bring up a menu, e.g. ALT+F for IE's "File menu", but once the menu is up or focus is already on the menu, you don't need to press [ALT] any more, instead you can simply hit an accelerate key not only to move your cursor there but to actually select it. Please see attachment.
This is correct for menus. But this is not true for explorer. Anyway thank you for suggestion. I'll make this feature as option.
The TORDEX Team
kinook

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Sep 2006
09-19-2006, 08:00 AM -
>>Can you at least make it an option so that I can choose not to use [ALT]for accelerate keys?

>Let's ask other TLB users. If it is "very needed" feature I'll add it.

This is badly needed.
1) If a menu item has no mnemonic and is the only item on that menu starting with the letter typed, or if the item has a mnemonic and is the only mnemonic on that menu for that letter, it should be clicked by typing the letter (no Alt+letter). It is non-standard and extra step to have to type Alt+letter or letter, then Enter.
2) If multiple menu items start with the same letter or multiple mnemonics for the same letter are defined on the menu, typing that letter repeatedly should cycle, selecting each match.

See the Windows Start Menu behavior.
Kyle Alons
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kinook.com">http://www.kinook.com</a><!-- m -->
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

09-19-2006, 09:42 AM -
OK, in the next version acceletators can be called without ALT key.
The TORDEX Team