Started by {RainmakeR}

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

14 posts in this topic
{RainmakeR}

10 posts 2 threads Joined: Oct 2003
01-17-2006, 08:45 PM -
Hullo,

Thanks for a great program, TLB is the best toolbar program I've ever used and it is essential for my day-to-day PC use (I keep one at the right-side of the screen always!)

I've had a problem though for some time now with shortcuts that use icons from shell32.dll, sometimes the icons will "not appear" for certain shortcuts, resulting in the appearance shown in the attached JPEG. It only seems to occur for shortcuts with icons from shell32.dll. Any ideas?

Kind regards,

{R}

Attached Files Image(s)

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
01-18-2006, 02:11 AM -
What True Launch Bar version do you use? I think this bug was fixed Sad

I guess the problem in the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

This key contain the paths to icons that substitute the icons from shell32. If you delete the icons that don't exists, or everything from that key if you want to use standart icons then the problem must be fixed.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
01-18-2006, 07:07 AM -
Perhaps there is another possibility. Perhaps your icon cache size is too small. You can look here for information on how to increase your icon cache size. Try a larger size and see what happens.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

01-18-2006, 07:39 AM -
Q Section, thank you for link Smile

{RainmakeR} Is this the shutdown plugin with in correct icon? If yes then my suggestion will help you 100% Wink
The TORDEX Team
{RainmakeR}

01-23-2006, 03:36 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:What True Launch Bar version do you use? I think this bug was fixed Sad

I guess the problem in the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

This key contain the paths to icons that substitute the icons from shell32. If you delete the icons that don't exists, or everything from that key if you want to use standart icons then the problem must be fixed.

Hi Yuri,

I'm using TLB version 3.2.12 beta. I just looked for that key in regedit and I do not seem to have it. I have a "ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers" key, but that's the closest to it. :\

If you need any other info, please let me know how I can help.

Cheers,

{R}
{RainmakeR}

01-23-2006, 03:40 PM -
Q Section Wrote:Perhaps there is another possibility. Perhaps your icon cache size is too small. You can look here for information on how to increase your icon cache size. Try a larger size and see what happens.

Hmmm it seems I don't have the key mentioned on that page either, LOL... although the shots on that page look like a version of Windows older than XP.
{RainmakeR}

01-23-2006, 03:44 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Q Section, thank you for link Smile

{RainmakeR} Is this the shutdown plugin with in correct icon? If yes then my suggestion will help you 100% Wink

No, this is just a standard TLB menu with a shortcut to a .vbs script that controls the restart / shutdown (prompts first to confirm). You can see the problem in other menus as well, each time the broken icon occurs it is with a shortcut that uses an icon from shell32.dll. I've attached another example.

Cheers,

{R}

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

01-24-2006, 03:31 AM -
Do you use any "icons changers" software?

Also please can you post the screenshot of "Select Icon" dialog box when you change the icon for some of menu item with incorrect icon.

BTW is the icon is correct when you create the same shortcut on the desktop?
The TORDEX Team
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
01-24-2006, 06:52 AM -
{RainmakeR} Wrote:...Hmmm it seems I don't have the key mentioned on that page either, LOL... although the shots on that page look like a version of Windows older than XP.
{RainmakeR} - This is a link to instructions for XP Pro.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
{RainmakeR}

01-24-2006, 07:17 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Do you use any "icons changers" software?

Also please can you post the screenshot of "Select Icon" dialog box when you change the icon for some of menu item with incorrect icon.

BTW is the icon is correct when you create the same shortcut on the desktop?

No icon changer software used, all that I've been doing with those TLB shortcuts is just creating a shortcut, and using the Appearance > Change Icon feature to change the icon to something from shell32.dll.

The shortcut icon is fine if I create the same shortcut on the desktop, though if I drag and copy one of the "broken icon" shortcuts from TLB to the desktop, the shortcut icon reverts back to the original one from the program the shortcut goes to.

I've attached a screenshot of the Select Icon dialog for the bottom most shortcut (with broken icon), notice how it's seemed to have "forgotten" which icon it's supposed to be displaying? The ones that work will highlight the selected icon and show "shell32.dll,17" or likewise at the bottom.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

01-25-2006, 11:06 AM -
{RainmakeR}, please can you backup toolbar and send the backup file to <!-- e --><a href="mailtoConfusedupport@truelaunchbar.com">support@truelaunchbar.com</a><!-- e -->
I'll try to reproduce the bug with your configuration.
The TORDEX Team
{RainmakeR}

03-01-2006, 05:33 PM -
Yuri, any feedback on that toolbar backup I sent you?
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

03-01-2006, 05:40 PM -
Is this bug appear in the version 3.2.13?

I can't to reproduce this bug on my system even with your toolbar. I've found one small bug but not sure this fix the bug.
The TORDEX Team
{RainmakeR}

05-23-2006, 05:47 PM -
Hi Yuri,

I can verify that this bug still occurs in version 3.2.14 RC2. This was even after I changed the "broken" icons back to their original state - a few reboots later they were broken again. Sad

Regards,

{R}