System Tweaking
Started by Gomezie

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 posts in this topic
Gomezie

7 posts 1 threads Joined: Nov 2006
11-06-2006, 07:07 AM -
Hi all.. not sure if this has been posted before.. but its my first time here.. so here goes

Would be nice to have some plugin that you can use to adjust the services on your computer.. it could be an alternative to services.msc

also

As above.. something that could tie into MSconfig .. as I like to frequently check my startup entries etc Smile

Thanks
[Image: gomezie_pimp.jpg]
jkdclick

135 posts 11 threads Joined: May 2005
11-06-2006, 07:37 AM -
How about a shortcut to services.msc?
Jeremy K Dickinson
The TORDEX Team
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tordex.com">http://www.tordex.com</a><!-- m -->
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
11-06-2006, 11:04 AM -
Quote:Would be nice to have some plugin that you can use to adjust the services on your computer.. it could be an alternative to services.msc
Thank you for suggestion. I'll make this plugin.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
11-06-2006, 01:02 PM -
jkdclick Wrote:How about a shortcut to services.msc?
Simple to make: Desktop>right-click New>Shortcut and in the field put C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.msc. Now you have a shortcut icon which you can place in your TLB wherever you wish.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
Gomezie

11-08-2006, 02:34 AM -
Oh yeh I know that those shortcuts are more than easy to do..

But truelaunchbar for me isnt just a toolbar tidyup.. Its so much more of a useful tool.. and to have something that can tweak your system in its own way would be fantastic

Thats what I was getting at Smile

Theres all sorts of nifty things you could do with this..

For example, alot of people customise which services they have running on startup to minimise system resources.. but then there are programs which rely on those services running in order to execute

One example of mine is O+O defrag, or windows defender.. If there was a start favourite services option/menu that would be cool .. you could also have the option/menu perform additional tasks after that service has been started/stopped.

Sure I could make my own snap in to do something like this.. but truelaunchbar is the king Big Grin
Xyzzy

91 posts 28 threads Joined: Mar 2006
11-08-2006, 05:29 AM -
Gomezie Wrote:For example, alot of people customise which services they have running on startup to minimise system resources.. but then there are programs which rely on those services running in order to execute
Set startup to automatic.
Gomezie Wrote:you could also have the option/menu perform additional tasks after that service has been started/stopped.

Like what for example?

X.
Gomezie

11-08-2006, 04:32 PM -
Xyzzy Wrote:
Gomezie Wrote:For example, alot of people customise which services they have running on startup to minimise system resources.. but then there are programs which rely on those services running in order to execute
Set startup to automatic.
Gomezie Wrote:you could also have the option/menu perform additional tasks after that service has been started/stopped.

Like what for example?

X.

your missing the point.. to have the service startup automatically means 15mb of RAM usage from the moment you log in.

I am fully aware of how services start and stop etc, so would prefer the ability to tweak that more

In my last quote.. one example is I would like to start a service via the truelaunch menu, then once its started the service.. then I could specify it to run an executable after..

In manual terms I would have to go into services then start the program myself.. if this could be done with one hit then it wouldnt be just nice.. but usefull.

Please dont take this the wrong way.. but I have only just stumbled across this community and wanted to take part by giving views and suggestions.. I am more than able to perform the above.. but I and others would appreciate some plugin that accomodates these kind of features, and If anything it would do more than just add a string to Truelaunchbar's already impressive bow Smile
Xyzzy

91 posts 28 threads Joined: Mar 2006
11-09-2006, 12:23 AM -
I don't quite follow you.

If you don't want set services to Automatic or Manual (strange that Manual doesn't work for you, anyway), why not create a 2 line batch script to run service and then application?

Services plugin may be useful for some, I just see simple solution to your problem now. And if 15MB RAM more used bothers you, it's definitely time to upgrade RAM.

X.
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
11-09-2006, 09:25 PM -
Gomezie - Open Notepad and put this there:
Code:
NET START "WIRELESS ZERO CONFIGURATION"
RUN yourapplication.exe
Save the file as somename.bat. Now you can create a desktop shortcut to it and drag the newly created shortcut to your TLB. Will this work for you? This is an example of what we believe you want to accomplish.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
Gomezie

11-28-2006, 02:24 AM -
ok cool..

I did know a way around it.. just would be interested to see TLB delve into this kinda of area with plugins.. for novelty if anything Smile