Wireless Monitor and Wireless N card Issue!
Started by gate1975mlm

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
gate1975mlm

487 posts 90 threads Joined: Dec 2004
12-16-2007, 08:46 AM -
Ever since a upgraded to a Wireless N card I find that the Wireless Monitor plug in all versions is not very accurate at all.

The signal display is always jumping all over the place. It goes from 5 bars to 0 bars to 1 bar all the time. And especially when I am downloading something. But the built in Windows Vista Wireless Monitor in the system tray next to the clock is always stable and 4 bars constant even when downloading.

With my old wireless g card Wireless Monitor plug in any version was fine and did not have this issue.

I really hope this be fixed?

I am running Vista.

I uploaded a video showing the problem.

Attached Files
.zip   test.zip (Size: 90.24 KB / Downloads: 577)
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
12-17-2007, 02:33 PM -
Hmmm.... what is the Signal Strength values you have? You can find this values in the tooltips under the WL button.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
gate1975mlm

12-17-2007, 03:07 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Hmmm.... what is the Signal Strength values you have? You can find this values in the tooltips under the WL button.

Here you go. But it keeps changing while the Vista one stays constant all the time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

gate1975mlm

12-17-2007, 03:10 PM -
This just a 2 mins later. It keeps changing like every few seconds. While the windows Vista built in network monitor is very constant and stays on 4 bars almost all the time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
01-03-2008, 01:42 PM -
This may sound like the native Vista function takes a look only so often for example every second. What you then see is an average. Perhaps the TLB plugin takes a look very often for example every 500 milliseconds so you see the value change more often instead.

If something like this was the case then you are seeing from both what would be expected.

What we need is either an agreed upon update speed or a user-variable speed. An example is found in Task Manager>View>Update Speed>High/Normal/Low/Paused.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
gate1975mlm

02-26-2008, 08:26 AM -
I really wish something could be done about this!

This all started when I updated to a Wireless N Card. I did not have this issue with my old Wireless g card.

When I am downloading big files the wireless monitor goes nuts. It goes from No Signal to 5 bars to 1 bar to 3 bars. Its all over the place.

The Vista built in wireless monitor stays at 4 bars all the time even when downloading a big file.
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
02-27-2008, 01:37 AM -
The problem may also be that if your new card is more sensitive you may be picking up additional signals perhaps from your neighbors.

Remember the world record for WiFi (under controlled conditions) is 201 kilometers/125 miles! This was set in Northern Nevada using two large old parabolic satellite dishes! So you may be getting a neighbor down the street or you may be getting a closer cordless phone signal if they are on 2.4gHz or you may be getting a stray microwave oven leak emmision from the kitchen.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
gate1975mlm

08-09-2008, 06:45 AM -
Update!

I have tested lots of Network Widgets and they all say 64% signal. But the TLB Wireless Monitor keeps jumping all over the place.

Why can't this be fixed?

TLB Wireless Monitor was always stable when I used it with a Wireless G card.

TLB Wireless Monitor must have a bug that keeps it from working correct with a Wireless N card.