Show Desktop delay
Started by SeismicGuy

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
SeismicGuy

41 posts 11 threads Joined: Mar 2008
04-23-2008, 01:40 PM -
I have been using TLB for a few weeks on my W2K SP4 machine. A problem with the "Show Desktop" button has recently appeared. When the button is clicked with TLB loaded, there is sometimes a 5+ second delay to clean the desktop. Hitting it again quickly restores the desktop. Also, using the shortcut key (WindowsKey + D) results in quick clean of desktop. Finally, if I enable the standard Quicklaunch Bar and hit the Show Desktop button on that bar, the desktop clean is immediate.

So what is happening when this button (show desktop.scf) is involked via TLB that creates a problem??

Thanks,

Doug
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
04-25-2008, 03:00 AM -
Please can you read this topic.

Shortly the only solution I know is disabling the services:

Network DDE DSDM
Network DDE
ClipBook

But the most systems have these services desabled. Check them too.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
SeismicGuy

04-25-2008, 08:21 AM -
I tried disabling all three services (I think that clipbook was already disabled) and it made no difference. Out of curiosity, I started the computer in Safe Mode (running Windows 2000 SP4) and the Show Desktop button works fine from TLB (immediate cleaning of desktop without delay). So I guess in Normal mode, there is something running or some driver that interferes with the Show Desktop action when invoked from TLB. I can spend a lot of time removing startup programs and services and see what happens but I suppose I should just forget about using the button on TLB and use the Win-D key shortcut to clean the desktop instead.

Doug
SeismicGuy

05-02-2008, 09:59 AM -
Well I stumbled on the fact that I had some sort or virus/worm keylogger on my system (the files was klog.dat). Once I got rid of that file and whatever process was controlling it, the Show Desktop button works just fine. Thought you should know.

Doug
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
05-02-2008, 10:03 AM -
Interesting information. Thank you.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com