TLB Toolbars Fine in Vista Basic but Unusable in Vista Aero
Started by David Tong

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
David Tong

55 posts 15 threads Joined: Jul 2006
04-07-2009, 02:05 AM -
TLB works fine in normal and Stand-Alone modes with my ‘Vista Business’ installation set to Basic. However in Aero (with transparency on or off) the TLB pop-up toolbars and menus take up to 5 seconds to appear and disappear and are effectively unusable.

The problem seems to be with TLB because Aero works fine with TLB disabled. Windows pop-up toolbars on the top or sides of the screen work correctly on their own but become sluggish as soon as I place a TLB toolbar into them.

TLB is version 4.4 and Vista is ‘version 6.0.6001 SP1 Build 6001’ running on a Toshiba R500 laptop. I have three toolbars running in Stand-Alone mode plus TLB Quick Launch Bar running normally (i.e. not Stand-Alone). However the issue still occurs with all toolbars in Stand-Alone or all in normal modes.

I’d be very happy to test any fixes or to provide further information if that would help...
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
04-07-2009, 01:15 PM -
Quote:However in Aero (with transparency on or off) the TLB pop-up toolbars and menus take up to 5 seconds to appear and disappear and are effectively unusable.
How menu work when they appear. Are there delays when you move mouse over the menus items? Do you use any effects like Glass, blend, slide for menus?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
David Tong

04-07-2009, 03:07 PM -
Yuri,

Thanks for listening... Results are the same whether glass is on or off in Vista. In TLB glass is set to 'opaque'and I'm using 'slide'.

I've spent some time testing this evening. I have three toolbars all in Stand-Alone mode. One on the top edge, one on the left, and the third is Qucik Launch in Task Bar mode. The first two are auto-hide.

To summarise, the left bar and Quick Launch seem ok. But the instant the mouse touches the top edge, all bars freeze. Then after about 5s the top bar appears. It hides again about 9s after the mouse moves away again. Then it takes a few more seconds before the other two bars begin to work again.

I tried setting autohide 'off' for the top bar. This freezes all the bars. Also it took many seconds to accomplish because the right click menu waits about 5s before responding to each new input. So, effectively, all toolbars freeze whenever the top bar is visible.

I've attached some notes that describe in detail the tests that I did. You'll see from these that at one point the system became completely unsreponsive and I had to hold the power button down to recover.

I hope this helps. Off to bed now (23:57).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.txt   testing notes.txt (Size: 4.84 KB / Downloads: 509)
David Tong

04-08-2009, 02:46 AM -
Yuri,

It turns out that the problem was caused by the Color Picker plugin (ver 1.1). It works in Vista Basic and not Vista Aero.

And of course I've now discovered <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.tsoftcentral.com/viewtopic.php?t=3341">http://forum.tsoftcentral.com/viewtopic.php?t=3341</a><!-- m --> which says that it's not compatible with Vista...

Something else is strange though. When I open TLB Components Manager and look at Installed Components nothing appears in the window. I know it was ok a few weeks ago because I updated from 4.3 to 4.4 using TLB Components Manager and everything looked normal in there before I did the update.

It looks as if my TLB installation has become corrupted so I'm going to save the settings and reinstall.