Standalone TLB and dual monitor "issue"?
Started by kwickone

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 posts in this topic
kwickone

49 posts 13 threads Joined: Aug 2005
04-16-2009, 05:08 AM -
Hey Yuri, here is another weird one. I set up TLB Standalone when at my office, which has a secondary monitor, so I was running in dual monitor mode. My TLB was on the right edge of my Primary monitor (my laptop LCD). I am on a business trip now, so no secondary monitor, and my TLB will NOT show up....

I can see the tlbhost.exe running. I can kill it and relaunch but it never shows up. I do have it auto-hiding, but I am not sure that is the issue....maybe related to my other post about the hotspot size?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

EDIT: OK, I was able to get it working on my (single) laptop display again, but I had to delete the HKCU\True Software\TLBHost\Toolbars\1 key tree. Then I just started from scratch....kind of a pain, but seems to be working ok again. I would still like you hear your thoughts on this Yuri when you get a chance. Thanks.
kwickone

04-16-2009, 09:41 PM -
OK, definitely an issue going from single to dual monitors and vice versa. I just got back to my office with dual monitors (after re-creating my sidebar in Standalone TLB). Docked my laptop, booted up, no sidebar visible and I cannot get it back. TLBHost.exe is running.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
04-19-2009, 03:14 AM -
I've tried to reproduce the bug but I can't. Please can you export the registry key HKCU\True Software\TLBHost\Toolbars and send it to me? Also Maybe I don't understand you clearly. Please can you describe your configuration more detail? So

Docked laptop:
Primary screen resolution: ?
Secondary screen resolution: ?
Screens positions (maybe the screenshot from the display properties): ?

Undocked laptop:
Screen resolution: ?
TLB at right side?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
kwickone

04-19-2009, 06:05 AM -
Hey Yuri,

I don't have that bar (or registry) in use anymore. Here is what I had (maybe it was a resolution issue?):

Docked laptop:
Primary screen resolution: 1920x1200
Secondary screen resolution: 1680x1050
Screens positions: TLB docked to right side of Primary
NOTE: the second monitor was on the right as well. So my mouse could go right over TLB and onto the second monitor as needed.

Undocked laptop:
Screen resolution: 1920x1200
TLB supposed to be docked at right side, but was not visible.

No a huge deal right now, as I am using TLB on the top.....but I have not undocked my laptop yet. I will let you know if anything happens when I do. Thanks!
danmeek

365 posts 127 threads Joined: Mar 2003
07-25-2009, 01:31 AM -
If I extend Windows 7 into a second monitor, standalone TLB causes many errors. Specifying that a new toolbar should appear on Monitor 1 causes it to appear only on Monitor 2, and vice-versa. If I remove Monitor 2 and then reconnect it, all of the standalone toolbars lose their position (they all bunch up in the top left corner of Monitor 2).
danmeek

07-25-2009, 02:20 AM -
Say I am set to use only one monitor, and I arrange a number of standalone toolbars on the screen the way that I want them. I then "exit" TLB, so that the settings, including the toolbar locations, are saved. I then again run tlbhost.exe.

In Windows 7, if I then activate a second monitor, all of the toolbars lose their location on the first monitor. They all go to the second monitor in a single pile in the top left corner of the second monitor.

If I then de-activate the second monitor, the toolbars go back to the first monitor but appear in a single pile in the top right corner. They lose their location information, and I must move each of them to its correct location manually.
danmeek

07-25-2009, 02:28 AM -
Ideally, the standalone toolbars would appear on both the first and second monitors. But the menu allows only to choose one monitor and not both. Further, I see nothing about monitors in the .ini file for the toolbar, so this cannot be edited manually.
danmeek

07-25-2009, 02:38 AM -
I now believe that the setup.ini file in each directory is not the setup file for standalone toolbar. Where is the setup file for a standalone toolbar?
danmeek

07-25-2009, 03:30 AM -
I have solved the problem.

In order to have standalone toolbars running on both monitors, I set up the same set of 8 toolbars on Monitor 1 and Monitor 2. I then exited tlbhost.exe, in order to save the settings. I then opened the Registry Editor and exported the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\True Software to a .reg file, which I named tlb.reg.

Then you can make any changes to the monitor setup you want. If I then deactivate Monitor 2, indeed those 8 toolbars all migrate to Monitor 1 and stack up on top of each other in the top right corner. If I then reactivate Monitor 2, those 8 toolbars migrate back to Monitor 2 but are all stacked up on top of each other in the top left corner.

Here is the solution to remove the stackup and put each toolbar back in its proper place: Exit tlbhost.exe. Double click on tlb.reg to change the registry back to the way you hand it. Then load tlbhost.exe again. All of the toolbars are back, on both monitors, in their desired locations.

It would be easy to put the last 3 steps (exit tlbhost.exe, restore the registry, load tlbhost.exe) if there were a switch in tlbhost.exe that would unload the program. Is there such a switch? What does tlbclear.exe do?

the to save the settings,
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-27-2009, 06:46 AM -
Hmm... I'll try to handle the situation you described. Thank you.

Quote:What does tlbclear.exe do?
This utility will clear the files created by TLB (setup.ini tlbdata.xml etc.)
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
danmeek

09-04-2009, 10:22 PM -
I again say, "It would be easy to put the last 3 steps (exit tlbhost.exe, restore the registry, load tlbhost.exe) if there were a switch in tlbhost.exe that would unload the program. Is there such a switch?"
danmeek

09-08-2009, 12:51 PM -
I have written a batch file that will exit tlbhost.exe, will run a registry key in order to restore the desired configuration of toolbar(s), and will then reload tlbhost.exe. This will restore the desired toolbar configuration, if it has been impaired by any other program.

taskkill /IM tlbhost* /f
regedit /s c:\path\tlb3.reg
c:\truelaunchbar\tlbhost.exe

TLB3.reg is the reg file created in regedit by exporting the registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\True Software
danmeek

09-08-2009, 12:58 PM -
This batch file would work even better, if it were possible to have auto-hidden toolbars start up in hidden mode--that is, if starting tlbhost.exe did not result in actually showing, for a few seconds, the auto-hidden toolbars it launches. There is really no need to show them for a few seconds, only to see them disappear.