[WIP] Complete TLB package
Started by virtualdori

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

15 posts in this topic
virtualdori

20 posts 4 threads Joined: May 2009
06-16-2009, 02:20 PM -
I have been working on a complete TLB package.

When it comes to TLB, many people are confused about all the settings and generally lack ideas and categorization skills.

I have certain GUI theories and I want to share them with the community.

What I hope to do is to make an external application to modify all the basic values of the XML configuration files. As it will be a somewhat standardized menu.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I have been looking into them it seems like it should not be that difficult task, although I didn't find sufficient documentation although I understand why there wouldn't be such a thing.

I would like to know if anyone wants to collaborate on this project or at least discuss some features such as the Auto-Sensing and how your workplace and home usage differs, I know Yuri has a lot to do so I hope I can get some help from the community instead but in the end that's up to Yuri.

I ask you mr. Koberts if you would approve of such a project and even host it on your site if the quality is sufficient? Or in some way make it easily accessible for TLB users. I don't think it should be hidden in the forums or the skin section if I will mange to finish my vision.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
06-16-2009, 03:40 PM -
This is the excellent idea! I know that TLB is complicated a bit. I've tried to make something like "lite" GUI to configure it, but every time got the bad results Sad. So I appreciate any help with this.

I'll give you any information you need, and will host the project, including the reference from the main page. Moreover I can include it into the main installation Wink

Thank you very much.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
virtualdori

06-18-2009, 11:20 AM -
This is just a mock-up but you should see somewhat what I have in mind...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

virtualdori

06-22-2009, 02:51 PM -
The first step will simply copy the folders and TLB configuration for either of the two base packages. Basically just like the backup feature of TLB.

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

06-22-2009, 03:11 PM -
These steps are really clear. But what is next? How to fill the menu(s)? I'm waiting for next steps...
The TORDEX Team
virtualdori

06-22-2009, 03:48 PM -
I think it would be easiest just to hide/unhide the items in the XML file
Code:
hidden="1"
I am still thinking about other way to do it but so far I really think this is the easiest to program, although I hope to find another way.

I must look into a way to scan the computer for installed software, to make sure the lnk files are not broken.

I have plenty to do in my personal life so I expect it to take some time to finish this project. This thread is a sort of brainstorming so if any other members of the community can participate in the discussion and speed up the progress if they want.
virtualdori

06-22-2009, 03:51 PM -
The last step could be about selecting a theme and that would take care of the plug-ins as well.

Enabling the glass effect, perhaps include Start Killer and an option for people to enable/disable it.

It's all about standardization so the wizard won't require great number of features, although they could be added later.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

06-22-2009, 04:13 PM -
Quote:I think it would be easiest just to hide/unhide the items in the XML file
The hidden files take some resources. Anyway the minimal XML file for the folder can look like:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<tlbdata>
    <folder name="">
        <layout>
            <item name="µTorrent.lnk"/>
            <item name="Cache.lnk"/>
            <item name="**separator"/>
            <item name="Download Master.lnk"/>
            <item name="FlashFXP.lnk"/>
            <item name="ICQ Lite.lnk"/>
            <item name="Internet Explorer.lnk"/>
            <item name="Mozilla Thunderbird.lnk"/>
            <item name="Skype.lnk"/>
        </layout>
    </folder>
</tlbdata>
Also it is possible to avoid any XML files, so TLB will create it automatically.

Quote:I must look into a way to scan the computer for installed software, to make sure the lnk files are not broken.
Yes, I think this is the best way. I guess it is enough to scan the programs menu only or take the shortcuts from the Quick Launch. So the wizard can suggest the categories of software and create the menus for every category.
The TORDEX Team
virtualdori

06-23-2009, 12:19 PM -
Here is the current design, I'm working on the icons but I have not found a single person who wants to comment on this. Seems like most people don't care about GUIs...
What I can't decide is if I should set the icons on the right side and text labels on the left or the other way around.

I'm still waiting for the Aero bug to be fixed though, but that should be a low priority. It would allow me to fix the icon margins.

virtualdori

06-25-2009, 06:51 PM -
I spent some time with some Installation Authoring software to create .msi setup files.

I can do about 20% of what I had in mind with it. For example it has an option to scan the computer for software and create shortcuts to those. However they are all limited to a program group in the start-menu. I am going to spend some more time on this, if if won't work then I will be forced to move on to Visual Studio.

I'm also going to experiment with hard linking,. Do you know how TLB handles those? Just because it's sometime unfortunate to see it when you customize a virtual folder and you make it so it's accessible from more than one place, you must configure each of those individually. If hard linking solves this I am going to search for a script to create them and somehow merge it with the package.

Attatched to this post is the current design, 2 unfinished icons (The Chessboard and the Computer) Just an idication of how complete this package should be.

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

06-26-2009, 03:37 AM -
What is the hard links? Is this like on this page?

Quote:I can do about 20% of what I had in mind with it. For example it has an option to scan the computer for software and create shortcuts to those. However they are all limited to a program group in the start-menu. I am going to spend some more time on this, if if won't work then I will be forced to move on to Visual Studio.
I can recommend the WiX to create the MSI files. It gives you the full control, but it is not so easy to learn Sad

I'm using the WiX for 64-bit and NSIS for 32-bit systems.
The TORDEX Team
virtualdori

07-01-2009, 08:50 AM -
Yes Hard Links would allow the same file to be located on more than one place. What I'm thinking about if it would allow us for example to keep a virtual menu to for example "My Computer" with the settings synchronized as for now you change one setting it does not apply to both of them.

I did some experiments with some simple VB Scripts, thinking it could be sufficient in combination with an install script or something but thanks for recommending me WiX I will try that. To bad my programming skills are close to none but I'm not going to let that stop me.
virtualdori

07-18-2009, 05:49 PM -
just a tiny update, the main icons are nearly finished...

BTW the reason why this is so big is because I design this on my television so it must be visible to me. It's easy to scale everything down.

virtualdori

08-10-2009, 10:54 AM -
Think this works nicely to access the control panel and system utilities...

Captain Caveman

62 posts 8 threads Joined: Sep 2001
08-13-2009, 12:24 AM -
I've always thought that TLB should've searched for installed Apps and offered layout suggestions and such..

Good luck on your project..