Windows 7: TLB as simple Quick Launch replacement?
Started by TimB

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
TimB

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Jun 2009
06-28-2009, 01:52 PM -
Hi,

I've been thinking about buying into TLB for a while, but I always thought it was merely a way to have addidional nested groups of programs or folders, compared to Windows' own Quick Launch Bar. I didn't have any need for that, neither for any of the plug-ins.

Instead, I kept using Windows' Quick Launch Bar, dragged out of the task bar and docked to the right edge of my monitor, with a single. long line of icons (about 40 of them) running all the way along the monitor's right edge. This Quick Launch Bar would be always in front and no program windows would maximise over it. That's what I've been using as my launcher for ages (even before Windows 98, I used the MS Office Shortcut bar in the same way).

Now Microsoft made the (brain-dead, IMO) decision to remove the Quick Launch Bar from Windows (7), deciding to lump launcher and switcher together, à la the OS X Dock. I'm about to upgrade to Windows 7 soon, but I don't want to work that way.

Can I use TLB in that way: A single long line of icons (all at the top level), along the monitor's edge, in Windows 7? I couldn't find anything like that in the screenshots. I don't need nor want any groups, folders, bells or whistles.

Or would even Free Launch Bar be sufficient? However, I couldn't find any top level icons there either.

Please note that I couldn't test it yet, since I don't have Windows 7 ATM.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
06-28-2009, 04:39 PM -
Quote:Can I use TLB in that way: A single long line of icons (all at the top level), along the monitor's edge, in Windows 7? I couldn't find anything like that in the screenshots. I don't need nor want any groups, folders, bells or whistles.
Yes you can. Although Windows 7 don't support the standard toolbar off the taskbar (at least the versions I've tested) you can use the standalone TLB.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
danmeek

365 posts 127 threads Joined: Mar 2003
07-09-2009, 05:33 AM -
I tried to use TLB standalone in Windows 7, and it did not work. Dragging a folder shortcut to the top, left, or right of the screen does nothing.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

07-09-2009, 05:43 AM -
Quote:I tried to use TLB standalone in Windows 7
What is the build number in your Win7? Are there any error messages?

Quote:Dragging a folder shortcut to the top, left, or right of the screen does nothing.
This feature was disabled by MS Sad
The TORDEX Team
danmeek

07-09-2009, 11:47 PM -
Build 7100. If I create a truelaunch bar, it will only appear inside of the Windows taskbar, of which there can be only one. So I cannot have toolbars docked to the left, right, and top like I do now. This makes TLB nearly worthless in Windows 7. Also, I cannot drag any TLB off of the taskbar.
danmeek

07-09-2009, 11:59 PM -
What is the standalone version of TLB? I cannot determine that from these forums.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

07-10-2009, 02:45 AM -
danmeek Wrote:What is the standalone version of TLB? I cannot determine that from these forums.
The standalone TLB works without Windows Explorer, and loooks like docked toolbar. To run standalone TLB go Start->All programs->True Launch Bar->Standalone True Launch Bar. Right-click the empty space of the toolbar and select "Toolbar properties" to change the settings.
The TORDEX Team