Newsreader popup
Started by s.newave

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
s.newave

11 posts 4 threads Joined: Mar 2007
10-15-2009, 02:34 PM -
I am really enjoying the newsreader. It is very accessible and configurable and works really well although this has led me to a question.

Ideally i would love it if the tooltip that popped up when you hover over a news item could display the full html content of the news item but i dont believe tooltips support that? I usually dont like to launch a separate browser tab as that clutters things up pretty easily. Most of the feeds i read have the full article content in the feed item so it would be awesome if you could hover over an item or click on it and have a lightweight stripped down html window which displayed the news item that would act like a tooltip.

I noticed there is a option to specify a script to open when clicking an item and was wondering if there is a way to have it popup a javascript html popup at the current mouse position with the feeds contents.

Any chance? :lol:
s.newave

10-16-2009, 11:10 AM -
Any ideas on how i could maybe do something like this?
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
10-16-2009, 01:03 PM -
If you don't want to open the news in your main browser, then maybe to use something other. I can suggest the Google Chrome. It have an APP mode (only one window), loads fast. Here is the script text:
Code:
var shell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
var objArgs = WScript.Arguments;
shell.Run("\"C:\\Users\\<your account name>\\AppData\\Local\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe\" --app=" +  objArgs(0));

Just replace the path with the valid one.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
s.newave

10-19-2009, 07:34 PM -
Hi Yuri,

Thx for the tip. Was playing around with this over the weekend and i dont think there is a way to do what i am trying to do on my side. The tip you gave me above works great however i realized that by launching another program the newsreader menu disappears which forces you to navigate back to same menu after you have previewed that feed item if you want to view another one which becomes a tedious to read a feed.

Would be perfect if you could replace the standard windows tooltip with a popup window that supports html. I used to use a program called desktop sidebar and more recently klipfolio which did this really well. They both allowed you to view the full html feed when you hovered over the news item. This way you could quickly read the items you were interested it without having to open another browser program or clutter your existing browser window.

Any chance something like this could make its way into TLB? :lol:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)