how permanently close non-standalone toolbar
Started by danmeek

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12 posts in this topic
danmeek

365 posts 127 threads Joined: Mar 2003
10-18-2009, 08:43 PM -
I have set up many non-standalone toolbars that load with windows. How do I remove them permanently (so I can use standalone only)?

I individually close them and then end the "explorer" process, then reload the explorer process. All of the closed toolbars reappear.

How do I get rid of them?
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
10-18-2009, 09:04 PM -
Do you kill the "explorer" process? Explorer don't save toolbars state if you kill it. You need to log off/log on.

Other way to close explorer correctly:
Windows XP:
Choose the Turn Off Coputer in the Start Menu, hold down CTRL+SHIFT keys and press "Cancel" button
Vista:
Open the Start menu, hold down the CTRL+SHIFT keys and right click the shutdown button. Windows will show the "Exit Explorer" in the menu.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
danmeek

10-18-2009, 10:19 PM -
Logging off and on does not preserve the closing of the truelaunch bars. I close each truelaunch bar. I log off. I log on. They all come back.
danmeek

10-18-2009, 10:20 PM -
Also, your advice above does not apply to the computer I am working on, which runs Windows 2000.
danmeek

10-18-2009, 10:28 PM -
In Windows 2000, there is not a "turn computer off" option. There is a "shut down" option. If I select that, hold down ctrl-shift, and click on cancel, nothing happens. If I then log off and on, all of the truelaunch bars again appear, even if I had closed them prior to this entire procedure.
danmeek

10-18-2009, 10:41 PM -
After installing the new version you provided here (which says it is 4.50), various other functions do not work. For example, if I click TLB Settings, General Options, Check for Updates, Installed Components, the result is blank.
danmeek

10-18-2009, 10:44 PM -
And now updates shows only updates to installed items and does not allow me to install new updates to plugins.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

10-19-2009, 01:28 PM -
Quote:If I select that, hold down ctrl-shift, and click on cancel, nothing happens. If I then log off and on, all of the truelaunch bars again appear, even if I had closed them prior to this entire procedure.
You are right, on Win 2000 you need to hold CTRL+SHIFT+ALT keys.

Quote:And now updates shows only updates to installed items and does not allow me to install new updates to plugins.
Hmm... the updater is the separate utility and I don't changed it, please can you post the screenshots here?
The TORDEX Team
danmeek

10-19-2009, 09:58 PM -
No, that also does not work. I close each truelaunch bar. I hit ctrl-alt-delete to get the logoff menu. I hold down ctrl-shift-alt and click on Cancel. I log off. I log on. The truelaunch bars all come back.

You have not provided to me any way to close a truelaunch bar permanently. They always come back.
danmeek

10-19-2009, 10:04 PM -
Your instructions to me are somewhat vague, so I tried another method, which also does not work.

I close each truelaunch bar. I go to the Start Menu and click on shutdown. In the resulting menu, I choose shutdown. I then hold down ctrl-shift-alt and click on Cancel. The result is that explorer unloads. I then run explorer. The truelaunch bars all come back.
danmeek

10-19-2009, 10:07 PM -
Here is yet another method that does not work:

I close each truelaunch bar. I go to the Start Menu and click on shutdown. In the resulting menu, I choose shutdown. I then hold down ctrl-shift-alt and click on Cancel. The result is that explorer unloads. I then log off and log on. The truelaunch bars all come back.

THERE MUST BE A WAY TO PERMANENTLY CLOSE A TRUELAUNCH BAR.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

10-20-2009, 06:02 PM -
Quote:THERE MUST BE A WAY TO PERMANENTLY CLOSE A TRUELAUNCH BAR.
danmeek, TLB can't to control the standard windows toolbars. Windows maintains these toolbars. Generally when you close all toolbars, windows saves this state on exit (log off). It is possible to force saving by closing explorer.

But there are some problems with explorer on your computer. It don't want to save its state. Maybe there are some "bad" values in the registry. Check the registry values from this topic. The value "NoSaveSettings" control the saving information about toolbars.

Also you can kill information about toolbar directly in the registry. Windows saves toolbar here:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop

value: Toolbars
Delete the value toolbars and restart explorer. Windows will forgot about your toolbars.
The TORDEX Team