Icons shiifting using TLB as left taskbar
Started by JudH

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
JudH

6 posts 3 threads Joined: Jan 2006
09-26-2010, 09:28 AM -
New computer and using TLB in a way I haven’t tried before. Running Standalone in Taskbar Mode attached to the left side. “Taskbar Mode” checked on right-click of toolbar. Also in “Standalone TLB properties” toolbar style “taskbar” checked, auto-hide unchecked, “Full row” checked, "Run on system startup" checked. Currently has about 8 menu icons—virtual folders. Menu functions are working fine.

When the toolbar first opens it shifts all icons on the desktop right one column. That’s as expected. BUT, every time I restart Windows (or logoff/logon user) the icons on the desktop come up first (in the locations they were in last, ie the “shifted location); then when the TLB bar starts ALL icons on the desktop are AGAIN shifted one column right. Eventually they’d move off the desktop. Tested: Well, kinda. A single icon on right edge with nothing to its immediate left doesn’t shift. If there is another icon just to the left then the icon on the far right does get shifted off and reappears on the left (at the top). So if you did it enough times all the icons on the desktop would “stack up” at the right side and then start migrating to the top left.

Opened “Toolbar Properties” and changed the “toolbar style” option to toolbar. Puts a frame around the bar but doesn’t affect the problem. Icons still shift.

Turned on “auto hide”. That stops the shifting problem—but isn’t what I want.

“Lock the Toolbar” has no effect on problem.

Turned off “taskbar mode” on right click bar popup. All icons shift back left one column and stay put thru a logon. BINGO. But now any window expanded to full screen overlays the toolbar—again not what I want. I want the left taskbar to operate just like the regular one—visible and usable if a window is maximized.

Help. How do I use “taskbar mode” without the desktop icons continuing to shift? Bug or am I missing something?

Oh, this is running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) with TLB v4.4.13 RC5 (64 bit).

Thanks, Jud
Dallas, Tx
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
09-26-2010, 11:16 AM -
True Launch Bar just report to Windows about the desktop space the toolbar need. Windows decide how to rearrange the icons. On exit TLB report to Windows that the desktop space is free now.

I guess on your windows the Windows explorer (shell) exits before TLB and saves the icons states with TLB. But on startup the Windows Explorer starts before TLB, and we have the icons shift on TLB start. But it is impossible to control this processes Sad

Now how to fix this problem. You can try to prevent the saving of the Windows explorer settings, including the desktop icons positions. Open the regedit and find the registry key:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Add the DWORD value named NoSaveSettings and set it into 1.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com