Send Window to the Back
Started by quattrocchi

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
quattrocchi

52 posts 11 threads Joined: Jan 2010
03-31-2011, 09:24 PM -
I'd like something that allows us to send a window to the back of a stack.

The situation I'm thinking of is when we have two or more windows open on the screen and want to manage them. At the moment we can bring a window to the front (and it gains input focus), but nothing I know of to send a window to behind the top window and lose input focus, nor to send it right to the back.

An example of usage. I've got a filer window open and I'm choosing an image to send by email. The image might need work to make it suitable, so I do that and keep the filer window open. Then open an email application and I want to be able to drag the image into the email window.
This is do-able now as long as you arrange the windows using the crude controls.

I know I can add an attachment by using the email app and digging around the hard drive. But when I've got the source directory open already why should I do that! Being able to put the email window to the back and access the filer window allows a simple and quick way to drag an image into the email.

That's just a simple example. There are many others. My previous OS (RISC OS) had the ability to manage multiple windows by a back button on every window, whereby the window can be popped back one by one in a sequence, stopping at the bottom of the window pile.

Brian
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
04-05-2011, 04:32 PM -
I'm sorry, maybe I don't understand you correctly, but this looks like the same as ALT+TAB functionality? You can activate any windows and ALT+TAB working well when you drag something.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
quattrocchi

52 posts 11 threads Joined: Jan 2010
04-05-2011, 06:13 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:I'm sorry, maybe I don't understand you correctly, but this looks like the same as ALT+TAB functionality? You can activate any windows and ALT+TAB working well when you drag something.
I do use Alt+TAB but it's very limited. For example multiple folders open are merely shown as a folder icon: which is which folder?

I guess I'm hating the way Windows will bring forward any window we click on. It's annoying as it can completely cover what I was doing. I want to be able to it to the back again.

When I have finished with a window - for now - I want to send it to the back of the other windows, and focus might also go to the upper window but BETTER YET if the window I sent back retains input focus (woah!).

I tell you it's a very handy feature if you use multiple windows.

Brian