Create Link to Desktop
Started by ccgnome

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
ccgnome

3 posts 1 threads Joined: Aug 2002
08-21-2002, 11:36 PM -
How do you create a link to the real desktop in TLB? A link to the desktop folder just shows the folder contents. I know all I want is in the folder but I like the desktop to be displayed like the real desktop is organised.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
08-22-2002, 02:33 AM -
Find desktop folder on the disk. And create shortcut to it.
For Windowx 2000/XP path to desktop is:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Desktop
On Windows 9x/Me
C:\Windows\Desktop

Do you spoke about it?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
ccgnome

08-22-2002, 02:30 PM -
I know where the desktop folder is, but the that is not the the question.

When you create a link to the desktop folder all you will see is the <contents> of the folder. i.e. a list of files, folders and shortcuts.

Want I want to do is go to the "real" desktop not the folder. i.e. what you see when you start up Windows.

In the Windows Quick Launch Bar clicking the desktop icon takes you to the "real" desktop.

In TLB clicking the desktop folder icon takes you to the desktop folder. Same thing, different "view"

So how, in TLB, can I get to the "real" desktop?

Phew, wish I a bit more technically savvy so that I could explain myself better.
cmishima

347 posts 138 threads Joined: Jun 2001
08-22-2002, 03:08 PM -
If I am correct in what you want to do then why not just put the DESKTOP link from Windows quick launch onto the True Launch Bar.

Works correctly.

[Image: deskicon.jpg]
Please read the True Launch Bar FAQ (Frequently asked questions)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.truelaunchbar.info">http://www.truelaunchbar.info</a><!-- m -->
ccgnome

08-23-2002, 11:15 PM -
Oh I've tried to do that but the desktop icon was missing frim the Windows Quick Launch Bar so I couldn't drag it into TLB.

But the good new is that I've found an answer.

It looks like Windows shows the "real" desktop when you click the icon called "Show DeskTop." A copy of this is can be found in C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

That's the directory that contains all the shortcuts displayed in the QuickLaunch Bar.

Now this icon was missing in my PC which is why it didn't display in my Windows QuickLaunch Bar.

Anyway I recovered a copy from a backup and created a link to it from TLB. Now, when I click the desktop icon in TLB, I get the "real" desktop and not the contents of the desktop folder.

Thanks folks for the assistance.

CCGnome

To create a TLB link to the "real" Windows Desktop as opposed to the desktop folder you create a link to the icon "Show DeskTop" in the folder