Started by Gary Mugford

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
Gary Mugford

23 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
12-12-2012, 04:29 AM -
Yuri,

I updated recently to TLB v6.2 (64 bit). When I rebooted, I encountered an issue with getting up and going. I was running into an incessant series of error dialogs noting tlbHost.exe - No Disk. The text of the message said: There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk6\DR6. Hitting Cancel OR Try Again OR Continue would simply cycle between DR4, DR5, DR6 and DR7. Those are either a multi-card reader set of letters or my various NAS's. My only solution was to go into Task Manager and kill the process tree for tlbHost.exe and then hit one final Cancel on the then visible error dialog.

Extra information. I use a drive management utility to turn on my various drives at startup. It takes a second or two. And anything that tries to immediately access net drives upon startup complains until the drives DO come on line. The combination of the new TLB and the bug kills xplorer2 (my file manager of choice) from working UNTIL the TLB issue is resolved. No matter HOW long I wait.

Also, in November's MS Patch Tuesday, my Win7 drive space gadget suddenly stopped working. That gadget showed me the free space for ALL my drives in a vertical strip, net or otherwise, in a space efficient way, while still being big enough to read. What I wanted was an always visible list of the 14 assigned letters, easily readable, that showed percentage free and total space used per letter. I didn't want to use TLB as a solution due to issues with getting the information graphic/text combo just right and the fact it wouldn't show net drives. But nothing I could find duplicated the gadget I had been using, so I opted for a standalone toolbar (which occuped the height of the right hand monitor's right hand side, which focused on the two non-net drives I worried about the most. No perfect, but maybe 75 percent of what I wanted. Would have prefered a completely floating toolbar and all drives visible, but I worked with what was available. When I rebooted next, after creating the toolbar, I once more ran into this problem. Shutting down the tlbHost.exe tree made the toolbar disappear. I put it back (thus restarting tlbHost, but with drive access NOW available, and then decided to close it after all. I just couldn't legitimize the windows space on the right hand side of the desktop. And I wasn't interested in having it in a menu on the bottom, since I didn't want to reflexively check it manually. So, I thought I would leave it closed. And then the issue cropped up after last night's reboot after the December Patch updates.

A quick look here shows tlbHost has had issues with the likes of the volume control this fall. I'm not so sure this is a TLB bug as much as an unusual situation where certain drive resources are NOT available immediately upon boot up on MY machine.

Any ideas on avoiding this issue in the future?

Thanks, GM
Gary Mugford

23 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
01-20-2013, 06:46 PM -
(12-12-2012, 04:29 AM)Gary Mugford Wrote: Yuri,

I updated recently to TLB v6.2 (64 bit). When I rebooted, I encountered an issue with getting up and going. I was running into an incessant series of error dialogs noting tlbHost.exe - No Disk. The text of the message said: There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk6\DR6. Hitting Cancel OR Try Again OR Continue would simply cycle between DR4, DR5, DR6 and DR7. Those are either a multi-card reader set of letters or my various NAS's. My only solution was to go into Task Manager and kill the process tree for tlbHost.exe and then hit one final Cancel on the then visible error dialog.

Extra information. I use a drive management utility to turn on my various drives at startup. It takes a second or two. And anything that tries to immediately access net drives upon startup complains until the drives DO come on line. The combination of the new TLB and the bug kills xplorer2 (my file manager of choice) from working UNTIL the TLB issue is resolved. No matter HOW long I wait.

Also, in November's MS Patch Tuesday, my Win7 drive space gadget suddenly stopped working. That gadget showed me the free space for ALL my drives in a vertical strip, net or otherwise, in a space efficient way, while still being big enough to read. What I wanted was an always visible list of the 14 assigned letters, easily readable, that showed percentage free and total space used per letter. I didn't want to use TLB as a solution due to issues with getting the information graphic/text combo just right and the fact it wouldn't show net drives. But nothing I could find duplicated the gadget I had been using, so I opted for a standalone toolbar (which occuped the height of the right hand monitor's right hand side, which focused on the two non-net drives I worried about the most. No perfect, but maybe 75 percent of what I wanted. Would have prefered a completely floating toolbar and all drives visible, but I worked with what was available. When I rebooted next, after creating the toolbar, I once more ran into this problem. Shutting down the tlbHost.exe tree made the toolbar disappear. I put it back (thus restarting tlbHost, but with drive access NOW available, and then decided to close it after all. I just couldn't legitimize the windows space on the right hand side of the desktop. And I wasn't interested in having it in a menu on the bottom, since I didn't want to reflexively check it manually. So, I thought I would leave it closed. And then the issue cropped up after last night's reboot after the December Patch updates.

A quick look here shows tlbHost has had issues with the likes of the volume control this fall. I'm not so sure this is a TLB bug as much as an unusual situation where certain drive resources are NOT available immediately upon boot up on MY machine.

Any ideas on avoiding this issue in the future?

Thanks, GM

BUMP. Issue still remains.
watchmaker

7 posts 3 threads Joined: Jul 2013
07-15-2013, 12:49 PM -
Confirmed. This does not occur if TLB is started at startup, but occurs if I restart it, e. g. after plugin updates.