Thumbnail Handler Extraction Host Looping after Installing TLB
Started by tosime

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
tosime

5 posts 2 threads Joined: Dec 2014
12-27-2014, 02:45 PM -
I am setting up a new PC running Windows 8.1.
I transferred several files wirelessly from my old PC to my new one.
I installed True Launch Bar and started configuring it.

When I dragged a very large folder into a submenu I created in TLB, Windows started looping between two screens.
One screen is with TLB on the task bar. One screen is with TLB not on the task bar and with a blank desktop.

It did this for hours. (I thought it was transferring files).

I checked the task manager and noticed over 80 ‘Thumbnail Handler Extraction Host’ processes were created.
Also the windows error reporting process kept cycling.

After rebooting, the process continued where it left off.
In this looping state, it is very difficult to use the PC as any action you take is cut off when it loops.

I was able to use my key board to restart my PC and I restored it to a previous point before I installed TLB. Everything was normal.

I reinstalled TLB. TLB seemed to restore the previous configuration and the looping process started again.

I restored to a pre-TLB installation point and removed (as best as I could) all traces of TLB. The PC worked normally.

I downloaded and installed TLB and the looping process started again.

I have researched the internet and this looping problem has happened to many people for different reasons.

One person associated it with a corrupt Classic Shell and seemed to solve it by updating his version. My version is up to date.

Others solved it by removing different anti-virus programs, mostly Norton. I have Comodo plus – a new anti-virus program for me.

Some people traced the problem to a file called "ODBCCP32.cpl". After renaming this to ODBCCP32.OLD the issue is gone. I do not have this file on my system although I have other ODBCCP32 files.

This is link to a typical thread:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...cb8f0f28a8

Please advise me on what to do. Has anyone else experienced this?

My system:
HP ENVY PHOENIX 810-160 MINI TOWER PC (Part # F3D90AA#ABA)
INTEL:I7-4770/3.40GHz,16GB RAM,1TB HDD, DVDRW, Media Reader,
Gigabit Ethernet,Wireless,BlueTooth,4GB NVIDIA-Geforce GT640 Graphics,
Windows 8.1

TLB version 7.1

Tony Osime

tosime

12-28-2014, 12:02 PM -
Hello.

I am yet to get a solution to my problem. My thinking is that this is a very strange problem that is hard to imagine if you have not experienced it. In my research I came across a YouTube video that shows you what happens when this fault develops. Please check this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9tg_c7D85Q

I find it interesting that the person also has an HP PC. I wonder if there is a connection here.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Since I cannot wait any longer for a solution, in the meantime I have installed an application called Quick Cliq as a substitute to TLB. To my surprise Quick Cliq is very effective as a productivity enhancing tool. The irony is that I paid for TLB (which does not work) while Quick Cliq is free (donation to come).

Has anyone tried Quick Cliq? How do you compare the programs?

Tony Osime
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
12-29-2014, 11:22 AM -
I guess I know how to recover. By default TLB store all toolbar settings, including menus and shortcuts, inside the Quick Launch folder: C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

So you have to open this folder and delete the folder you've copied into TLB. Also I recommend to delete the any *.ini and *.xml files. Some of these files can be hidden. Or you can delete all files Quick Launch - this will reset TLB.

How to stop looping? You can restore pre-TLB installation point, or open the task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) and kill the process "explorer.exe" when it will appear. Windows restarts explorer.exe when it is crashes, but don't restart it if you'll kill it. Now select "File->Run new task" and click the Browse button, you can use "Select file" dialog as a mini-explorer. Navigate into Quick Launch folder and delete files. Or Open "C:\Program Files\TrueLaunchBar" folder and rename tlb.dll into something other, this prevent loading True Launch Bar (when you clear the Quick Launch folder, you can rename it back into tlb.dll).

Now you can run explorer.exe in the "Create new task" dialog and get desktop back.

Please can you backup the Quick Launch folder and send it to me support@tordex.com, if this folder does not contain sensitive information? I'll try to reproduce the bug here and fix it.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
tosime

12-29-2014, 06:08 PM -
Thank you very much for helping to resolve this problem. After following your instructions I appear to be back to normal with TBL running well. Thank you so much, it is a big relief!

It looks like TLB/Windows cannot process either the large size and or type of files I moved into the menu. I had forgotten the size (14 GB) and number of files (2,648). There were many file types including many large videos.

I tried to send you an email with a zip file containing the remaining Quick Launch folders but the email was rejected I think due to the attachment.

Now that I have invested some time in setting up Quick Cliq, I feel a reluctance to go back to TLB. This is not because of the problem I had but because Quick Cliq is so light and simple. I guess I have to take another look at the TLB features and then maybe use them both for a while and compare. One thing is certain though, TLB support is excellent. Thank you again.

Tony Osime

PS - I notice that I can attach files to this message so I am sending you the Quick Launch files in a zip file.

Attached Files
.zip   Quick Launch.zip (Size: 14.94 KB / Downloads: 1,067)