backing up icons
Started by CWBillow

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
CWBillow

180 posts 78 threads Joined: Dec 2004
05-24-2016, 07:51 PM -
I have "a billion" icons, and they are all in the same folder, along with and mixed into those that I need for my TLB config.

Can I back up my TLB, with the icons, and then move all the icons in the original folder to a new location so that when I restore that TLB setup, it will have all the icons needed that I had originally used in the setup but not all those icons that are not part of the TLB config?

Chuck Billow

Chuck Billow
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
05-28-2016, 03:20 PM -
What is the format of your Icons? Is this *.ico or *.png?

Generally you can set the option "Save with toolbar" when you select the icon, but if this is existing toolbar with many shortcuts then that is problem Sad TLB doesn't backup icons that was not saved with toolbar.

Also the "Save with toolbar" works with "single file icons" like *.ico or *.png and not working for icons from dll/exe.

For icons that were not saved with toolbar - TLB will not find them if you move icons to other location. And there are not build in tools to to something with this. But it is possible to change location directly in tlbdata.xml files. These files can be found in toolbar folder. The files are have text format (XML) and even Notepad++ can be used to replace old path to the new in all files.

Refresh toolbar after changing tlbdata.xml Wink
This post was last modified: 05-28-2016, 03:21 PM by Yuri Kobets.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
CWBillow

05-28-2016, 04:30 PM -
(05-28-2016, 03:20 PM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: What is the format of your Icons? Is this *.ico or *.png?

Generally you can set the option "Save with toolbar" when you select the icon, but if this is existing toolbar with many shortcuts then that is problem Sad TLB doesn't backup icons that was not saved with toolbar.

Also the "Save with toolbar" works with "single file icons" like *.ico or *.png and not working for icons from dll/exe.

For icons that were not saved with toolbar - TLB will not find them if you move icons to other location. And there are not build in tools to to something with this. But it is possible to change location directly in tlbdata.xml files. These files can be found in toolbar folder. The files are have text format (XML) and even Notepad++ can be used to replace old path to the new in all files.

Refresh toolbar after changing tlbdata.xml Wink

So Yuri, if I set up the toolbars and all the icons associated with the various links are ico files and come from several different places on my machine, when I save the TLB config, and select "Save icons", then the icons assigned to each shortcut will be saved with the TLB file, right?

And then, when I restore that TLB file to a "clean" Windows install, will the saved icons all be restored to the ""I:\%user%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\~~images~~\Icons" even if that folder was / is empty or not yet created?

Chuck

Chuck Billow
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
05-29-2016, 12:00 PM -
Hmm... if you select "Save icon with toolbar" TLB copy icon file into ~~images~~\icons folder. Backup saves this folder too and restore it.

May be there is ambiguity between "Save icon with toolbar" option in TLB Settings and in Select Icon dialog box (as shown on attached screenshot). The option the Select Icon dialog box will copy icon, the same option in TLB Settings just turn on the option "Save icon with toolbar" in select Select Icon.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
CWBillow

05-29-2016, 01:02 PM -
(05-29-2016, 12:00 PM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: Hmm... if you select "Save icon with toolbar" TLB copy icon file into ~~images~~\icons folder. Backup saves this folder too and restore it.

May be there is ambiguity between "Save icon with toolbar" option in TLB Settings and in Select Icon dialog box (as shown on attached screenshot). The option the Select Icon dialog box will copy icon, the same option in TLB Settings just turn on the option "Save icon with toolbar" in select Select Icon.

Yuri, I think I got it: I can select the item from anywhere but just by selecting it will then be copied to the ~~images~~\icons folder. So that I can empty that folder, and then save the TLB config, and icons that have been picked from "wherever" are then copied to the ~~images~~\icons folder which is then included in the backup.

Got it.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Billow