Started by Tannin

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1 posts in this topic
Tannin

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Jul 2013
07-10-2013, 08:18 AM -
Hi,

I'm struggling to find simple information about the basics so as to avoid data loss. What is the relationship between TLB and information stored elsewhere in the file system? Normally, shortcuts are shortcuts and real objects (such as files and folders) are real objects. Menus and menuing systems (such as start->programs or the Quick Launch tray or desktop shortcuts) *always* shadow the real objects. But TLB virtual folders apparently break this rule! No doubt there are good reasons for this, but the notion of a shortcut that, when deleted, deletes the target object as well seems very dangerous, and it's an absolute no-go zone for the system I want to set up with TLB for a non-technical family member shortly. (Even for my own system I don't much like the idea of sudden-death menus.)

Where can I find a concise listing of the different sorts of items one can place on the TLB and their properties so as to avoid the dangerous ones? Which things can I put there and then safely delete? Which things must I take care not to put on the TLB lest deletion of the shortcut deletes the underlying object as well?

One can, for example, right click and go new -> menu - but does that provide the option to create a simple menu equivalent to a list of shortcuts? Or does it always create a (doubtless useful but dangerous) virtual folder? How does one tell the difference.

Thankyou!

Messages In This Thread
The basics - by Tannin - 07-10-2013, 08:18 AM
RE: The basics - by Yuri Kobets - 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM