Explorer crashes
Started by Merops

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

23 posts in this topic
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
04-02-2004, 03:27 AM -
Quote:Do these VB apps do anything to explorer? Toolbars, shell extensions, etc... these may be more likely to influence explorer since they run in it's context...
No, they don't. However, I have a crude workaround that is helping me test. If I kill all processes that are using msvbm60.dll including any explorer.exe processes, I can uninstall the DLL from memory until the next time I use a VB app which has the handy side-effect of increasing my system stability. Big Grin

Quote:What might help is to open an explorer window, goto Tools -> Folder Options, View tab and check "Launch folder windows in a seperate process". This helps isolate the issues with explorer extensions, if it crashes it'll only crash that process, not the taskbar etc. Don't know if it's available under Win9x btw... it sure helped me with a few buggy extensions...
Been there, tried that, read the book, bought the t-shirt, saw the film and then got suckered into buying all the branded merchandise... :p Humour aside, I've tried pretty much everything and have spent countless hours scouring the net for further info. I've sent email to Micro$oft and got only an automated reply back, so who knows if they're looking into it?

MS have just released a new VS service pack, so I'm going to compare the msvbm60.dll versions with what I have (6.00.0096.0090) and if there's any difference I'll begin another round of testing! ???
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
04-02-2004, 07:54 AM -
PsychoMark Wrote:What might help is to open an explorer window, goto Tools -> Folder Options, View tab and check "Launch folder windows in a seperate process". ...Don't know if it's available under Win9x btw...
FYI - not found in 98SE.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
04-02-2004, 08:53 AM -
QSection Wrote:FYI - not found in 98SE.
Maybe this link will help you there, QSection. Big Grin
Back once again...
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
04-02-2004, 10:04 AM -
Information only

No unexpected crashes here.

2.2.0.17 RC3
4 TLBs with 12 plugins and 13 buttons/folders/shortcuts
(several Weather Monitors, ToDo List, Uptime, Sys Mon, Net Mon, TLB Clock, (not currently using Mail Monitor)
msvbvm60.dll 6.00.9237
98SE
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
swedone skindesign

11 posts 0 threads Joined: Apr 2004
04-02-2004, 02:19 PM -
Hi Yuri
You asked if I remember what icon I used when explorer crashed, and it was only an icon to a website.
But I have tested almost everything today, and I think all unexpected crashes is related to some settings in a setupdata or xmldata.
Since I´ve deleted some of them, and made new menus, it´s absolutely stable, no crashes or anything, and when pointing at a menuicon it loads much,much faster now.
So everything,almost, works nice, the only thing that is giving me trouble,is when mouse over the fonts folder icon in cntrlpanel, then it hangs up and using 100% cpu.
But that is the only thing I haven´t changed yet, so I think it will work when I have done that.
I also have tested msvbvm, and at least in my case, it´s not the problem, the only process that was loaded in memory when it crashed bad, was mdm.exe.
I have also checked using .net framework, and Visual studio, and nothing is wrong.
I have checked logs, and everytime it seems that instability and crashes is caused by something related to changed fonts or fonts colors in TLB.
Now when I am using the colors set by system, abolutely no problem, it works great.

Have a nice day Yuri, and also a nice day to all of You.

06-17-2004, 08:35 AM -
I can crash the toolbar @ will, i am a registered user using the lastest beta...

Replacing an icon in a menu with the same icon= crash
Sometimes, maximizing Powerdvd will crash it aswell

Most of the time its moving icons around in the menus..

Any tips or help?
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
06-17-2004, 11:00 AM -
Mole
What is your windows version?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com

06-22-2004, 09:24 AM -
Sorry I am using Win XP SP1 with all of the required updates, very weird problem, Explorer.exe sucks afaik...

you can reach me by email @ <!-- e --><a href="mailto:molehole@gmail.com">molehole@gmail.com</a><!-- e --> to discuss further..

Thanks
Seth